Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am having a heck of a time finding new motor mounts for the 396 in my 69. Napa and every auto parts store i talk to does not even have a listing on them, or they only have the top piece that bolts to the block, but not the bottom part.

Of-course LMC and other truck restoring shops have them for 90 dollars per side. I realize that these B.B. motor mounts of this style were only used from 68-71, but 90 dollars per side seems a little steep to me :(

Has anybody else found them some were else that i might be missing beside threw LMC ?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
The only question I have is why not use the later motor mounts. They are as I recall all the same except for looks. The newer ones cant come apart anymore than the originals, and are cheaper. I just used them on my 454 Nova.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Rock Auto has them for $10.00 each... anim_25 (Have I mentioned why I avoid LMC 16coffee)

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=ebbsc26k4rbqae1or2rqifqa04

I even looked at Rock Auto, but they are only selling the top part of the motor mount that bolts to the block itself, the parts that i need are the bottom half that go threw the motor mount that bolts them down.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=61

this is a pic of the entire mount that i need top and bottom part

http://cf.mp-cdn.net/3b/6d/f969fe8fa23c6ebda517289fe121.jpg

The only question I have is why not use the later motor mounts. They are as I recall all the same except for looks. The newer ones cant come apart anymore than the originals, and are cheaper. I just used them on my 454 Nova.
you would not happen to have a part # would ya???

I am assuming i would have to change out my motor mount towers to go to another design motor mount...

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
6,754 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
As Charlie said the later ones are better as they interlock in the event of a rubber failure....!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a better pic of the B.B. motor mounts and towers in my 69.

I have been doing some research, and it looks like the only way i can go to the newer style (clam) motor mounts is buy switching out the towers. So bye the time i buy the towers and the new motor mounts, it would just be cheaper in the long run to buy the original set for the towers i have. Plus from what i have seen the newer towers get in the way of the headers, were as the B.B. towers make it much easier and have more room since there is a indentation at the very top of them already for the stock exhaust manifolds.

Learning something new every day about this old truck :)

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
https://www.performanceonline.com/1...ROME-TUBULAR-V-8-ENGINE-MOUNT-BRACKETS-18818/

or I did not check the prices on thier stock mounts..they have them as well..
I saw that conversion kit in my hours on the computer looking for the stock motor mounts anim_63

I also found these motor mounts, which allot of the web sites TRY and tell you they will work on a 69 B.B. truck (which they wont) but they are for a small block motor, or a 71 or newer truck with the big block towers.

I am going to just BITE the bullet and purchase the stock motor mounts for the truck threw LMC, they are actually the cheapest out of the other 3 sites that sell them....

Heck! even a USED set of B.B. towers with the used original B.B. cracked and worn out rubber mounts still go for 300 bucks on E Bay. I did not realize how rare these towers and motor mounts are. But since they are only a 4 year production (68-71), i guess i get it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
here is a pic of the 72 and newer towers for B.B.'s with the smaller hole that the 3/8's bolt will actually fit...Chevy also used them for the small block's

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Now this is if were me, I'd use the late model mounts with a larger washer under the bolt. The mounts are the same except for the hole. I would not weld the washer in as you may get it in the wrong place. BUT that is what I would do. anim_25

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now this is if were me, I'd use the late model mounts with a larger washer under the bolt. The mounts are the same except for the hole. I would not weld the washer in as you may get it in the wrong place. BUT that is what I would do. anim_25

WELLL!!!!

to be honest with ya, that is what i have been thinking of doing, but then there is no cushion what so ever when the motor is pulling or torquing up on the drivers side tower like there is on the original motor mounts.

I am not building no drag motor here, but to say the least it is going to be a pretty healthy runner, and once i install the posi and some new meats on the back, i don't think i want to take the chance of pulling the washer threw the original tower or shearing off that little 3/8's bolt that comes with newer style motor mounts since it will be hard mounted. Granted the bolt for the original motor mounts is still only a 3/8's thick, but the rubber on the bottom side is almost a 1 1/2 thick so it gives it some kind of leeway and cushion to pull against.

I am installing a brand new 4 row cross flow radiator that the truck came with, and i would kick my self in the behind if the motor broke loose and the fan came up and ate the brand new radiator anim_63

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
The new style mounts have rubber between the steel pads. If they are good for late model BBC they should hold down what your building. They are made to not come apart more than a 1/4". You can get grade 8 bolts you won't be putting them in shear so they will hold.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
We always made a torque strap for the left side on the earlier mounts on chevys and early mopars for the same reason, just allow it to slide 1/4 of and inch before the stop was reached, never tore the mounts out after that...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We always made a torque strap for the left side on the earlier mounts on chevys and early mopars for the same reason, just allow it to slide 1/4 of and inch before the stop was reached, never tore the mounts out after that...
Both you and CFFISHER have great ideas beer

·
Registered
793 Posts
Anybody know if the brackets mounted to the frame from later models would bolt in?If they would that would be the way I would go.All parts readily available

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anybody know if the brackets mounted to the frame from later models would bolt in?If they would that would be the way I would go.All parts readily available
From what i have read, the brackets interchange with no issues. But i am not going to spend the money on new or used brackets when i have a welder anim_63

I already orders these newer style motor mounts threw Amazon.... 20 dollars cheaper than Summit and free delivery :)

I found some old washers that went on top of the rubber bushings for the old shocks on my 2000 Grand Cherokee. They are 2 inches wide so they will cover up the big hole on the top of the original motor towers, and they are already pre-drilled with a 3/8's hole. They are also 1/8th inch thick, so i am going to double up the drivers side were all the torque and stress will be, and install just one washer on the passenger side. Then after i have the motor aligned and bolted in place to were i want it located on the motor towers, i will tac weld the washers to the bottom side of the tower. Then I will remove the motor and new mounts, and finish welding the washers to the bottom side of the motor towers.... PROBLEM SOLVED, and a heck of allot cheaper that 80 dollars per motor mount....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts