Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys, Just wondering if anyone can give me some help on this problem i have. I remember when i was a teen and just got my drivers licence my Dad had a 1969 GMC pickup. I used to dive it all the time and i remember when i would go to put in reverse, drive & park you had to pull the column shifter slightly towards you to move the gear select indicator. It was a slight tight tension. with our 72, the shifter lever is very sloppy and you can move it through all the gears with 1 finger back and forth without pulling towards you. Is there a spring somewhere that i am missing or something else that i can do to bring it back to originality. I am always afraid when out cruising that if i happen to bump the lever or catch my sleeve on it i could really have a bad experience! Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I haven't changed the spring in one in YEARS and then I had the column out and on the bench. I'm sure it can be done in the truck. Yours is probably broken or just worn out. I do not have a book on it I just took it apart and replaced it I think there is a bushing or something between the lever and the spring ??? anim_25

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Done some searching on this, you can replace the spring and the ball bearing that is on top of the spring, remove the roll pin, remove the lever, and use several pairs of needle nose pliers to pull spring and ball out, you will need help on the reinstall, as you need a third hand to reinstall roll pin while holding everything thing else in place (lever spring/ball as a unit..some say you have to remove steering wheel some say you don`t...anim_63

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks 406Rich

Thanks for doing the research on this!! So, do i remove the horn panel on the steering wheel to gain access to these parts?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
From what I read into this no, just remove the roll pin at the base of the lever, lever spring and ball should come out with some persuasion .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts