Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Thanks for the link Terry, it's only about 30 minutes from where we are moving to....LOL. beer. I really don't need more engines, well maybe..! anim_63

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What area are you moving to?
If I was still looking to put a big block in my truck I would think about it.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
What's wrong with getting the whole truck looks like a great restoration project for someone.

With a bill of sale you can get a title.

Otis :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
What's wrong with getting the whole truck looks like a great restoration project for someone.

With a bill of sale you can get a title.

Otis :)
Maybe... might also get it taken away if it shows up as stolen during the title search.

But for that price it wouldn't sting to bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hate to say it but I am still thinking about it. Keep the BB and all the good stuff and part out the rest.

·
Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Just a bit more on the 402 ! ! As the story goes they were suppose to be a 396 bored .030. from the over produced stock that GM ran of there 396. Now I'm not so sure but these 393 blocks set on the shelves and the bores had tarnished so Gm figured to clean them up with the 30 over bore.
I have a few 402's and was told by the machine shop, when ordering for an actual 402 like the one I have from a Camaro, its not the same pistons as the 30 over 396. Now this confused the heck out of me cause if your boring a 396 30 why won't they fit a clean bore ( factory bore ) 402 ?????

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just a bit more on the 402 ! ! As the story goes they were suppose to be a 396 bored .030. from the over produced stock that GM ran of there 396. Now I'm not so sure but these 393 blocks set on the shelves and the bores had tarnished so Gm figured to clean them up with the 30 over bore.
I have a few 402's and was told by the machine shop, when ordering for an actual 402 like the one I have from a Camaro, its not the same pistons as the 30 over 396. Now this confused the heck out of me cause if your boring a 396 30 why won't they fit a clean bore ( factory bore ) 402 ?????
I don't think its a bore fitment issue. The parts will bolt up but it wont work properly its a balance issue. the 366 truck 396 car 427 car & 402 car crankshafts all have the same bearing sizes and the same stroke, however they wont interchange due to different piston weights. likely a 396 +.030 replacement piston will weigh the exact same as a standard 396 piston. the factory 402 piston will be heavier thus the crankshaft is balanced differently. You could assemble a hodge podge of parts and build a running engine. However it would vibrate and soon fly apart.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting,

So if I was to buy it and have it rebuilt then I would tell them to use 396+ pistons?

Would they not balance it so it would not vibrate it's self to death? If you asked and paid extra of course.

What would you have to tell them to be sure it would not destroy it's-self?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
We would have to do our home work on it, plus most stanard rebuild shops donot balance, I had to take my inards to Rex Hutchinson shop for balancing here in sac Terry, ( side note you asked, Galt ) most truck blocks had small valves and lower comp, you would need a head change for power...!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, that would be more than I would want to put in it. Nothing wrong with my SB, It is just a tinkering idea. You know, something to waste money on. Isn't that the fahne19 way?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 71 big block truck. The 402 dropped a valve and ruined the engine. Some one had installed hard valve seats. the seat came loose and that was all she wrote. I tore the engine down. and there is a quarter moon notch cut out at the top of the cyl? Maby its a similar reason to the notch cut in the 348 W engines to lower compression. any road im in the process of installing a 78 454 engine. to balance a crankshaft they attach bob weights to the crank throws. the weights weigh exactly the same as the combined weight of the piston &
rod. The drill the counterweight to remove weight. They fill drilled holes with a heavy metal to add weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.