Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, about 2 weeks ago i was driving home from work when i heard a loud popping sound and then my truck started pulling to the driver side. i pulled over and came to the conclusion that i had a broken wheel bearing(pic), being less than 10 miles from home, i limped very slowly home. lifted my truck up and pulled the wheel, immediately i noticed that my rotor had a deep groove in it(pic). you could tell that it had been there a while, previous owner obviously never bothered to fix it when he replaced the brake pads(pic). so before i did anything i know that new rotors, and pads would be needed along with the bearings. so my truck sits in my drive way till payday so i can get the parts i needed. payday comes and i go to pull everything off i realize that the hub wont come off. it was loose it would wiggle around, slide, but the bearing wouldn't slide off the spindle. called a friend over, he took a punch and hammer and beat on the bearing until it fell apart. pulled the hub off, cleaned up the spindle which had the inner ring still on it(pic). i beat on that, wouldn't come off, grabbed it with vise grips and twisted.....it still wouldn't come off. took a grinder and gently cut at the inner ring until it was almost cut thru. took a chisel and hammered away on it until it showed some movement. ok should be easy now right??? no. not my luck. i had to make another cut and then i was able to pull part of the inner ring off the spindle. the other part i had to hit with a hammer to get it off. (pic) as i look in wonder..... the inner ring had started to spin and FRICTION WELDED itself to the spindle. (pic) now i have to order new spindles, and of course those are only sold as sets. all i wanted to do was replace a bearing. so yeah thats been my last few weeks. how was yours???
the pictures below are so you can see my fun....

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Wood Composite material Engineering Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Rim Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Wood Drinkware Gas Cylinder

Wood Bumper Automotive tire Window Tints and shades

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Maybe never greased them correctly if at all, were they drop spindles or stock...? By the way no pics...!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there was grease there, not sure if there was enough. could be that they wasnt greased correctly. they were stock spindles.

as for the pictures im not sure, they are there for me. i just click on the links and they pop up.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
there was grease there, not sure if there was enough. could be that they wasnt greased correctly. they were stock spindles.

as for the pictures im not sure, they are there for me. i just click on the links and they pop up.
Are your pics thru Photobucket...if so they won`t show....photobucket has a new policy..Recently Photobucket changed their "terms of use" so that one can no longer post pictures on websites without paying ~$33.00 per month..they are hlding your images hostage...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no i don't use photobucket, i attached them using the attachment icon at the top. the one that looks like a paperclip. i know that if in 5 years someone comes along to read this post and i have closed my photobucket account, they can no longer see the pictures which imo sucks. so i always try to attach the photos directly to the post.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
no i don't use photobucket, i attached them using the attachment icon at the top. the one that looks like a paperclip. i know that if in 5 years someone comes along to read this post and i have closed my photobucket account, they can no longer see the pictures which imo sucks. so i always try to attach the photos directly to the post.
There`s a photo attachment section in the first section when you come in to the forum ...http://www.c10trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122

1 - 8 of 8 Posts