Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post other than introducing myself.
I will be moving to Kingman, Arizona from Michigan when our home sells. In the meantime I have been cruising the Arizona and Nevada Craigslist ads for C10s.
This is the type I am interested in:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5074630602.html
I do NOT like the donk wheels and would rather have something like the Torque Thrust chrome 17" wheels though.
My question: My Dad was a GM supervisor when I was growing up and would buy a new C10 every 2 years then sell them to the guys he worked with. He owned a lot of them in the 60s through 80s. Most were 3 on the tree V8s and all of them were RWD. I left home in 67 but I drove a lot of them. They were all quite shiny and new at the time. Do I need to be concerned with hidden rust in a car that spent all of its life in the desert climate?
My days of burning rubber and speeding are well behind me (12 grandkids now and pushing 70). I want something to cruise the Route 66 scene with.
Here are a couple more that interest me:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/5059123138.html
I do not like the large wheels though.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/5073466300.html
I wish they would have posted pics of the passenger side though.
Thanks in advance for your advice.beer

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Ron spend more time looking, there are trucks out there with stock style wheels out there, or its just a matter of changing wheels its your call...anim_25

·
Registered
493 Posts
Desert Square Body Search

sign0016 Ron!

Rust can be a concern, just depends on how the truck was maintained, where it came from and how it was used.

Are you looking for a project truck, something that is already done, or maybe picking up on a somebodies stalled project?

I dislike the big wheel / rubber band tire look too. Good to have another like minded fella here on the forum.

Good luck on your search for a truck, and keep us in the loop. We'd be glad to help in any way we can.

_______
John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to be realistic. I will be 70 this year so I am not as limber about crawling into the engine compartment and underneath. I will probably want something that does not require a lot of work. If it needs anything major then I will probably have to have it done by a professional.
If I find something with huge wheels I can negotiate the price downward and find something else to put on it.
I really like the trucks that I am finding in the desert states. In Michigan any thing that is more than 10 years old has rust issues with bolts, brake lines, fuel lines etc.
My ideal truck would be something with an overdrive automatic, small block, AC, muscular-sounding exhaust, shiny paint, Corvette-style rally wheels, good tires, good cooling system, safe brakes and decent interior. I can always have the tranny changed out, install aftermarket air and change the tires and wheels though.
We are getting impatient to sell our home so we can get moving. It is a duplex that we bought new in 2001 and has a 24 X 32 pole barn that is ideal for hobbyists. We always rented to relatives. It is a great place for someone who would like to build equity and have their renters make most of the payments. There are very few places like this in the area so it will take a special person to buy it.
I sold my last project Corvette and have nothing to play with this summer:confused:

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Sorry to hear your leaving MI. 70 is not to old to climb around a C10 or any other car/truck. I'm 70 and enjoy working on my truck and the wifes 57 Chevy. You just got to get up and head out. Best of luck with the move and finding a new C10 to play with
anim_25

1 - 7 of 7 Posts