Chevy C10 Trucks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Community,

I recently purchased the entire crossmember with suspension and brakes from a 1986 C10 to update my 1968 C10's front drums. I hoping that puppy bolts in as easily as it sounds (any advice is welcome)!

Now I have 5 lugs in the front and 6 lugs in the back. Which solution is the best path (considering cost, reasonable labor, and having enough wheel choices).

Solution 1: Convert the front discs to 6 lug. The advantage I see here is that I could also buy 2" drop spindles as I make this change and I have changed disc brake spindles before so job will be familiar. The disadvantage may be fewer wheel choices.

Solution 2: Convert the rear to 5 lugs. The advantage here is that aftermarket wheels are abundant compared to 6. The disadvantage; I think this option will cost more and I have not swapped rear axles before.

Solution 3: Go with a common wheel that is made in various bolt patterns (like a GM Rally look) and leave 5 up front, 6 in the back. This will likely make it so I have to buy new wheels instead of finding something gently used. I'd also be limited in wheel choices. This does sound like the easiest solution.

Which way should I go? Am I missing any pro's or con's? Does anyone have a cool choice in mind for option 3?

Thanks in advance for any input / insight,

Ed

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hello Community,

I recently purchased the entire crossmember with suspension and brakes from a 1986 C10 to update my 1968 C10's front drums. I hoping that puppy bolts in as easily as it sounds (any advice is welcome)!

Now I have 5 lugs in the front and 6 lugs in the back. Which solution is the best path (considering cost, reasonable labor, and having enough wheel choices).

Solution 1: Convert the front discs to 6 lug. The advantage I see here is that I could also buy 2" drop spindles as I make this change and I have changed disc brake spindles before so job will be familiar. The disadvantage may be fewer wheel choices.

Solution 2: Convert the rear to 5 lugs. The advantage here is that aftermarket wheels are abundant compared to 6. The disadvantage; I think this option will cost more and I have not swapped rear axles before.

Solution 3: Go with a common wheel that is made in various bolt patterns (like a GM Rally look) and leave 5 up front, 6 in the back. This will likely make it so I have to buy new wheels instead of finding something gently used. I'd also be limited in wheel choices. This does sound like the easiest solution.

Which way should I go? Am I missing any pro's or con's? Does anyone have a cool choice in mind for option 3?

Thanks in advance for any input / insight,

Ed
How deep into your savings you want to go is first. What rim/wheel do you want, yes 5 lug styles is more abundant. I believe probably the 6 lug Disc change out will be better on your wallet. It all boils down to what rims or wheels you finally want to see on your truck (LOL cant help you there).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How deep into your savings you want to go is first. What rim/wheel do you want, yes 5 lug styles is more abundant. I believe probably the 6 lug Disc change out will be better on your wallet. It all boils down to what rims or wheels you finally want to see on your truck (LOL cant help you there).
My decision is to keep the 5 lug from the donor truck and get new 5 lug axles for the rear. It came down to more wheel options being available for the 5 lug setup and this route is less expensive since I would buy new wheels either way.

·
Registered
264 Posts
IF I Recall the donor 86 C10 X-member bolt mounting holes 99% fit hole per hole except two that are pretty close just requiring drilling out.

Reactions: edb7

·
Registered
264 Posts
Once it warms up, I will let you know how it goes!
Sounds like your in the same boat as me temps wise. I'm up 3700 ft ( yucca valley,ca) and we also can get cold these days, was in the lower 30"s a month ago.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts