Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been searching for an answer/solution for some time now and can only find people removing chains. The previous owner of my 64 removed the tabs for the chains and I want to put them back on. Mainly for looks really, but currently there is nothing to hold it open so it's essentially useless. I wanted to avoid having to do paint work and unfortunately we don't have access to the inside or I could cut a slot and do something that way. Anyone tried this before?

·
Super Moderator
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
803 Posts
Well we had a somewhat similar discussion recently. The Unicorn is the pivot bolt inner mounting bracket. Unless you find one in a junk yard. I tried to take mine apart but mine are tacked as well as the bolts.

If you still have that piece in your bedside, then you can buy new chains and everything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually that would be a really easy piece to fabricate, and I'll have to see (doubtful) that mine is there as there's no hole in the rear of the bed. But the specific part I'm referring to is on/in the tailgate. Looks like actually you posted the picture of a black tailgate in that thread and the "tab" is missing out of the tailgate and its just an empty slot, that's the part I'm on search of adding. Obviously I would also need to do something on the other side but gaining access to the tailgate there seems like it will be a project.

I could always just get one of the kits for hinges and cables etc if it turns out to be too difficult. I mean, it's already shaved and painted

·
Super Moderator
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
803 Posts
That part should be easy to find. The black tailgate is my 64, I screwed a bolt in there to fill the hole and was going to dab a weld over it. I had a new set of chains but gave them away. I do have the parts I removed from my truck. I'll look in a bit. I'm sure I have the parts you are looking for.

Post #3 has a picture of the part no one can find. And yes..you could fabricate something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The confusion for me is how you even access that, ill highlight the one on your 64 and show a picture of my 64 currently. I just done see how there's any way to get that part out. I assumed it was welded to the tailgate as i cant see any way to be able to remove it without cutting some kind of access hole, i must be missing something in understanding how it's supposed to be
Automotive design Material property Automotive exterior Gas Fixture

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
803 Posts
This is what the parts look like..
Wood Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Composite material

Wood Auto part Metal Art Household hardware

Font Parallel Circle Auto part Bicycle part

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oooooo so it bolts into the side and then slides through the slot? There's something bolted onto the tailgate there but it goes INTO the bed. I'm thinking they might have flipped it around, which wouldn't make sense unless you saw what they did. I'll take some more pictures tonight and see if I can get er figured out. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out here

·
Super Moderator
803 Posts
Yes..the bolt on the left is the pivot bolt. Once it's bolted in, only the rounded part is exposed. The inner piece that it screws into, is the piece you can't buy.
Gesture Font Parallel Auto part Diagram

Wood Bumper Gas Metal Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
803 Posts
To confuse it more...Brothers has this style listed for a fleet side...I've only seen this style on the stepside models..
Wood Gas Rectangle Metal Font

Green Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

This is what my setup would look like..
Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Green Car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So I'm assuming when the tailgate is down it's not supposed to look like mine here. After looking at your pictures it seems like it would bolt to these 2 holes and maybe filled the access slot 🤷‍♂️
Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Flooring Hardwood

1 - 10 of 10 Posts