Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More curious than anything I am trying to figure out what kind of transmission came out of my truck. The truck is a 1964 C10 but by serial number the 230 6 cylinder is not the original.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And I screwed that up, let me try to get the pics on here a different way.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

And why would someone weld the linkage to the shafts?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Mann alive, never seen someone weld the clevis ends to the shift forks...some one`s quick fix I guess,,,anim_63 I been guilty of those things for a quick tempory fix but nothing like that...anim_63 So Bama you going to rebuild that trans or change it out,,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mann alive, never seen someone weld the clevis ends to the shift forks...some one`s quick fix I guess,,,anim_63 I been guilty of those things for a quick tempory fix but nothing like that...anim_63 So Bama you going to rebuild that trans or change it out,,
Going to change it out, have a Saginaw 4 speed to put in it's place. I think it should hold up to the massive torque of the 230.:D

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Bama, there are three different ratios for the saginaw four speed denoted by the rings or grooves in the main input shaft, look at these to figure out which one you have.
Saginaw 4-speed 2.84 2.01 1.35 1.00 No lines on Input Shaft
Saginaw 4-speed 2.54 1.80 1.44 1.00 One line on Input Shaft
Saginaw 4-speed 3.11 2.20 1.47 1.00 Two lines on Input Shaft
Saginaw 4-speed 3.50 2.47 1.65 1.00 Three lines on Input Shaft

the 254 is the strongest of the boxes only because its a close ratio gear set...the others not so strong if you`re going to abuse it.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

This is the one I have, hoping to use the combination to improve on the gas mileage, really the only abuse it may face is letting my wife drive it:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Rich, the info you provide is awesome, saves me from research and arms me with immediate info. Doesn't get any better that that. I feel I am not restoring the truck as much as giving it new life. New wiring systems with properly grounded sections, over kill on the grounding and newer technology where it can be afforded. As a goal I would like to get 30 mpg out of it, lofty goal for sure but I feel is doable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

i am hooping this ratio will help get better gas mileage.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Bama sorry to say you won`t get any better milage from the saginaw, its still one to one in fourth, so with saying that if it were me just go ahead and install, now there are several options down the road, best yet is a NP-440 transmission, actually a three speed with fourth as overdrive, they were mainly in the east and midwestern states from `79 to `86 GMC and Chevy used them both in commercial and private use, trucks and vans, they came in cast iron and alum fourth gear being .79 to 1, the reason for in the eastern states is because the vehicles would not meet Calif emissions, you guys got lucky..the next option would be the GM 5 speed...and or the Jeep ax=15 5 speed from any 2 wheel drive jeep or v8 Dakota 2 wheel drive, this option you have to buy the trans adapter from Novak industries and shorten driveshaft with jeep style output yoke.
Both the jeep/dakota is rated for 400 plus lbs of tg, the np 440 trans rated 450 lbs of tq, the GM 5 speed rated at 300 lbs of tq same as the saginaw...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All good info (as always). The immediate goal is working toward making the truck roadworthy, hoping to get started on front end work soon. After I find a 27 spline yoke I will put the transmission in and go from there. Brakes are totally shot so I may just work one wheel at a time.
I feel this truck has led a rough life but a little tlc and it can be a dependable daily driver.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts