Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93 GMC has 261000 miles on it and had developed a knocking noise, first thought it was a U joint, then wheel brg. Sad to say 2 teeth out of ring gear and only found 1 in bottom of case. Spent morning at salvage yard. Spent afternoon in shop getting ready to change out the hole differential. I have put 3 ring and pinions in it and had one put in long ago. Its always the same So this time I'll change the hole thing. I figure there must be something wrong with the case. There is still hardly no lash in it, but I just don't feel like going through the gear changing. Anyone else have this problem??? its just a 10 bolt GM has them in every thing.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Does it have the gov-lock posi.If so these were usually the culprit knocking out the ring and pinion.Also were the previous gears aftermarket or oem

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just an open gear first 2 were OEM then an after market. This time I'm replacing the hole banjo. all is OEM. Spent all of today getting old one out and new one in. I'm really leaning toward the housing being bad but at this point I'm not going to worry about that one. Then changing left side leaf spring I think that's as much work as the hole rear end in. I know this truck has not been beaten up as I bought it new in 93. I hadn't heard about them having problems with them. Half the full size cars are running the same gear.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hope the new diff takes care of it for you.My 90 still running on original gears at 250k,cant even remember servicing it,so you might have the right idea.Maybe the centerlines bored off one way or the other,that I have heard of,but that also promoted gear whine.Good luck with it Charlie and by all means don't hurt yourself changing out those heavy parts.
David

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finished up this morning. bleed and adjusted the rear brakes no more noise and stops like new. Its 16coffee time then out for the day with Chris

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While driving it on the highway It seemed a bit fast. I used the GPS to find out I am running 10 MPH faster than the speedometer says. I'm not changing it I'll just have to watch and remember...Or carry bail. LOL
Another problem In town the speed limit is 25 mine and all GM cruise controls start working at 25 I have used this to prevent tickets.. Now I can't cause 25 now is 15. SUCKS to be lazy.

D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts