Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past fall we got a 5th wheel camper. 28" so my 1/2 ton will haul it, or so I thought. Seems a lot of its get up and go has gotten up and left. Flat land no problems but get a grade and it just about dies. It only has 300,000 on it I don't understand. got to get in side engine and see what's going on. :(

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Only 300k, its just broken in....! anim_63

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got the heads back from the shop. Lots of machining done to them. Started working on the block today have 2 cylinders cleaned up so with Friday off I might get the other 6 done. Then it will be back to cleaning it again. With these heads it should pull like crazy.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
So what is in the truck and what heads...curious minds...? anim_63

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Parts are coming in and the block isn't all done yet. Head studs, gaskets, timing gears and chain, cam bearings are here the other bearing are on there way. Rebuild kit for TBI with new injectors, new intake, and adapter plate. I might even pop for fancy valve covers. anim_63

I'll try posting a picture of the heads

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting thing. I put in the crank and put rings on pistons. Started putting #1 in and it did not want to go. SOO I took the rings off and cleaned the grooves again. Did this 3 times checked the bore everything was right. What I found out was interesting GM has made 3 different piston types for the 4" bore SBC. It appears I have the metric 350 pistons the oil ring groove is .019 shallower than the standard piston... They also make a piston with different compression ring grooves. Soooooo find out what you have or you could wind up with a bald spot from pulling out your hair. No longer :confused:

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Wow, did not know this, wonder when that started...? Is there an identifier on the metric block....?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I understand it started mid 80s. So with 3 different piston types out there the only thing I can see to do is measure the oil ring groove depth and height. the compression rings are the same. I would guess you could really get messed up by putting in the shallow rings in the deep groove. the other (last change) wont fill the grove height wise so should be obvious. This is the first time I came across this and just thought it could help some one else. I have built a lot of sbc's and a few bbc's never came across this before. Just FYI

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
From what I understand it started mid 80s. So with 3 different piston types out there the only thing I can see to do is measure the oil ring groove depth and height. the compression rings are the same. I would guess you could really get messed up by putting in the shallow rings in the deep groove. the other (last change) wont fill the grove height wise so should be obvious. This is the first time I came across this and just thought it could help some one else. I have built a lot of sbc's and a few bbc's never came across this before. Just FYI
hey Charlie post the casting numbers from the block...just for giggles...

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
10054727 ----- K0719USA it has Canada cast into the back of the block behind the distributor opening. That is what clued me into thinking it may be metric. I never looked at any of that when we ordered parts.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
10054727 ----- K0719USA it has Canada cast into the back of the block behind the distributor opening. That is what clued me into thinking it may be metric. I never looked at any of that when we ordered parts.
Ok that explains it...we used to race weekend warrior back in the early 90`s the blocks made in mexico ( four bolt blocks ) never held up, they would break at the main webbing area after three of them we stayed away...

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
finely got engine in truck. Went camping and it wouldn't go over 55 and had no power. Took all apart again found the set of head gaskets I put on were 305 not 350. That makes for water in oil and never lost compression. Well here it is Fri. 13th put it back on road. Runs great but had oil leak. Put it on the hoist cleaned it all off underneath Started it up let it run 5/10 min. and left it there. Went back out 3 hr. later and no leaks. NOTHING floor clean under truck. I hate oil spots on the floor. I hate any spots on the floor. Guess I'll wait some more and see what gets wet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts