Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son has a 1990 chevy pickup 5.7 TBI how can we go about switching to a carb and doing away with the computer. the truck ran pretty good but has been sitting for a couple of years doesn't want to throttle up very good and has very little power under load. I changed injectors, throttle position sensor and rebuil trottle body, new air sensor along with water temp sensor Seems to be getting fuel

thanks guys

·
Senior LS Engine Tech
5 Posts
IS the check engine light on?

Whats the fuel pressure at the TBI unit. This is easy to check most auto parts houses have loan a tool pressure gauges.

When was the fuel filter changed last?

Converting to carb is easy but not cheap you need modify a carb intake to work with the centerbolt heads. Then you will need an HEI disbutor as the computer works the one thats on it. And you will need a fuel pump either electric one you have with a extenal regualtor for the carb or a mech. then you would need to remove the pump in tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another thought if you've already reworked the throttle body (and it's been setting for a while).

Like bo said, check the fuel pressure. For this it should be between 13-15 lbs. If it's not it could be the small rubber tube between the fuel pump and the steel supply line inside the tank. I had one I TROUBLE SHOT FOR DAYS. When the tank was above a certain level it ran great. Once it dropped below the level where the rubber tube was it ran terrible. The rubber had developed a pin hole and was losing presure when exposed.

As for changing to a carb. It's not hard, but it takes money to get all the correct parts to make it work.

Good luck with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts