Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I picked up an '85 Silverado that had sat since 2012 with a bad 305. I put in a 350 and have been trying to catch up with all the things that don't work. It has dual tanks. The right tank had water in it so I bypassed it. I'm now trying to get the fuel gauge to work using the left tank. I pulled the plug from the switcher and cut off the two pink wires and spliced them together. One of them had a white stripe. I checked the ground on the left tank and cleaned it. The fuel gauge reads at approximately 3 o'clock. So I don't know if I spliced the right two or what. Any advice as to what to look for next or if I did something wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here, I`m sure Charlie can help with this he`ll be along shortly...sign0016

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Ray maybe this will help....I`ve never had or worked on dual tank truck, does the wiring color look the same...would have thought that if you just disconnected the offending tank the other should still work...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for the reply. I've removed the switch on the dash and there is power to the switch via the pink wire. I had to pull the cluster to fix some lights and during the process noticed that the fuel gauge moved. I think I'm going to have to get a new printed circuit too because disturbing it has made the temp gauge read wrong now, it was working before. I am hoping I won't have to remove the tank, a job I'm not looking forward to. This truck had sat outside in this miserable wet climate here and everything got corroded.
The 305 that was in the truck was frozen up. I replaced it with a 350 bored .060 with .125 dome pistons and 76cc heads with 1.94 intakes and changed the 3/8 exhaust stem valves to 5/16 for lighter valve. I used Z28 springs and have a pretty hot cam from Oregon Cam Grinders. I forgot the specs but it's 270 with 475 lift I think. It has a very noticeable idle! I'm using the 700r that was in the truck with 308 gears that I will change for 373's.
Looking at the diagram, and others I've looked at I have seen no tan wire to the gauge, it has the printed circuit. There is an unusual looking light plug in above the gauge that twists in like a light but has a wire running to it that could be tan. Anyway, it could be the sending unit from the tank too I suppose. Thanks again for the reply and I will post back if/when I find the smoking gun!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
cool, glad things worked out for you. beer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fuel Gauge

So after everything it was the contacts behind the gauge, got some new ones from LMC and that fixed it. Got a new, not used PC I don't need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts