Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 83’ C10 305. Been sitting for a few years. When I first got it, it would start up but would be stuck full rev. I replaced spark plugs, plug wires, intake manifold, valve covers, & Carb. I’m still using the old HEI distributor. Now when I try to start the truck it will crank & sounds like a few cylinders will fire. But then go back to only cranking & not fully start up. I’m thinking it could be my distributor or timing chain. The ESC was already bypassed by previous owner. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should check? Thank you

·
Administrator
155 Posts
You sure its getting fuel? Another thing to check is the rotor under the distributor cap. Been know to burn a hole under the contact of the rotor allowing the coil to short to ground.

Check for spark at the plugs if there is none then its probably the coil or the Module. Can't rule out the pickup coil either but that would be the hardest to change as you'll need to remove the distributor. Don't forget the cap and rotor.

Also, make sure you have 12v to the power input to the HEI with the ignition on.

·
Super Moderator
606 Posts
Dont know what the carb you replaced , but is choke , butterfly / spindles closing and operating o.k ? If the timing chain is worn it may have jumped , check timing

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 83’ C10 305. Been sitting for a few years. When I first got it, it would start up but would be stuck full rev. I replaced spark plugs, plug wires, intake manifold, valve covers, & Carb. I’m still using the old HEI distributor. Now when I try to start the truck it will crank & sounds like a few cylinders will fire. But then go back to only cranking & not fully start up. I’m thinking it could be my distributor or timing chain. The ESC was already bypassed by previous owner. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should check? Thank you
Go over all the basics 18436572 air fuel compression spark.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah what every one above said. air-fuel-spark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rebuild or replace the HEI distributor, the older they get the more voltage they need to fire the plugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts