Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I start my first ever project. I pick it up tomorrow. It's a 1971 GMC 1500 Sierra LWB, 350 with I believe an automatic TH350, which the front seal is leaking. Also has headers that are leaking. Interior is in excellent condition with the exception of the rockers on both sides. Floor pans are fine. Exterior trim is all there, but it does need paint after repairs are made to cancer in the bottom of doors and rockers.

I'm no mechanic, but I and able to turn wrenches and follow instruction to make repairs and such. But body work just scares me. Maybe I should say intimidates me. Is it better to reskin the whole door or repair baseball size holes in each corner of the doors? Is this something I might be able to do or have the body shop do before paint? Money is always a game changer.

I will try to post pictures and videos in the future (when I learn how).
Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
71 Sierra sign0016 to C10 Trucks. Sounds like a good truck. The front seal is not hard to change depending on your abilities. The body work----You can but lower door skins or full skins OR just buy sheet steel and make repairs. I ALWAYS weld in new panels. Grind down the welds then finish with filler as thin as possible. Post pictures and we will help all we can. anim_25 and have fun

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum, we`re all beginners at a lot of this, as time goes by and you deal with it you get better, sometimes frustrating but better, we were`nt born with the knowledge....anim_63sign0016

·
Official C10 Trucks Sponsor
8 Posts
As far as the body work is concerned, if you know anyone who works at or owns a body shop, see if they will allow you to trade work for body work on your truck. Some shops are always looking for someone to prep panels or do disassembly for insurance jobs. This is a cheap way to learn how to do body work and get your truck repaired at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts