Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 71 c10 with a sbc 350 mostly stock internally. It's a 86 motor I believe I know its 80's. Stock bottom end I was told and I believe it. Stock heads are on it still have just been ported and polished. Not sure how good of a job was done, was done almost 2000 miles ago. Has a edlebrock intake manifold not air gap. Baffled edlebrock valve covers. Edlebrock 600 cfm carb. Has been cammed mild cam not sure of specs. My plans are to get a set of aluminum heads, local race shop recommended dart shp heads which are pre assembled. Can get either stiffer or softer springs. Quote was about 1300$. I am also looking into the skip white nkb 200 heads also pre assembled. Will be first motor I will be doing new heads in have worked on cars my whole life and am a diesel mechanic but skills and knowledge aren't a issue. I want to be able to have something to have fun in. Right now truck is just a tourqe monster. Has a th350 trans with a b&m shift kit in it also b&m trans fluid. Stock converter yet that is also on the to do list. Stock gm 12 bolt truck rear end with 3.73 gears. Just looking for options and good combinations. Plans are stall converter and step down to 3.42 gears and posi after motor is done. Want ideas for the motor. Heads, cam, head gaskets, etc. Looking not to spend a fortune. Want to do a fun but a some what budget build. Should I do assembled or bare heads. If bare suggestions of good valves, springs, retainers, push rods, and such. Also need ideas on if I should retrofit a roller cam and lifters or leave it flat tappet. Need suggestions on rocker arms. Just need top end suggestions all together. Thanks to all replies looking forward to hearing back.

·
Registered
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
243 Posts
Hard to go wrong with Dart heads..some 64cc 2.02/1.60. Whatever heads you use, make sure you have use right intake.

Roadkill guys have a TV show called Engine Masters..pretty good show, where they change parts on the dyno and compare them. They do cams, heads, intakes, headers, etc.

Make sure you use good gaskets..they have newer valve cover gaskets with metal..I'll have to look, I just got some for my big block.

For header gaskets. Remflex is absolutely the best! I'll never use anything else. 100% graphite and crush proof..good stuff!

Get some powdercoated headers..wish I did. And buy a Starter Amp Booster Relay. Man that thing is awesome..and under $30..can get them from Jegs. Check out my "1977 Big Block Shortbox" build for more.

There are companies like Edelbrock that offer complete packages with all the stuff you are asking about. The parts are all matched to work together

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply been real busy. My local shop offered some edlebrock heads also, but were about the same amount of money, and they told me a major drawback of the edlebrock heads. I don't remember what it was exactly thats why I started leaning towards the darts. I'm guessing I will be going with the darts, just curious to see if the pre assembled heads are any good or if I'm better off going with bare heads. I am just looking for my truck to be a lil better on the streets. Alot of things are going to be happening this winter thanks again.

·
Registered
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
243 Posts
Most of the stuff I've heard about was a long time ago. Anytime you're selling thousands of anything you're gonna see complaints. If you saw the amount of complaints about newer Silverados you'd never buy one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is very true just wanted some extra input. BTW I would never buy a newer Silverado. I'm a ford guy lol. Actually got this c10 for trading my mustang lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 71 c10 with a sbc 350 mostly stock internally. It's a 86 motor I believe I know its 80's. Stock bottom end I was told and I believe it. Stock heads are on it still have just been ported and polished. Not sure how good of a job was done, was done almost 2000 miles ago. Has a edlebrock intake manifold not air gap. Baffled edlebrock valve covers. Edlebrock 600 cfm carb. Has been cammed mild cam not sure of specs. My plans are to get a set of aluminum heads, local race shop recommended dart shp heads which are pre assembled. Can get either stiffer or softer springs. Quote was about 1300$. I am also looking into the skip white nkb 200 heads also pre assembled. Will be first motor I will be doing new heads in have worked on cars my whole life and am a diesel mechanic but skills and knowledge aren't a issue. I want to be able to have something to have fun in. Right now truck is just a tourqe monster. Has a th350 trans with a b&m shift kit in it also b&m trans fluid. Stock converter yet that is also on the to do list. Stock gm 12 bolt truck rear end with 3.73 gears. Just looking for options and good combinations. Plans are stall converter and step down to 3.42 gears and posi after motor is done. Want ideas for the motor. Heads, cam, head gaskets, etc. Looking not to spend a fortune. Want to do a fun but a some what budget build. Should I do assembled or bare heads. If bare suggestions of good valves, springs, retainers, push rods, and such. Also need ideas on if I should retrofit a roller cam and lifters or leave it flat tappet. Need suggestions on rocker arms. Just need top end suggestions all together. Thanks to all replies looking forward to hearing back.
Hi, I wouldn’t have any worries about using the Skip White NKB heads. I have a set on my smallblock and they are great. Not to mention half the price of the Darts. Now don’t get me wrong, the Darts are excellent heads. But for a street or street/ strip car they are a great option. The castings are Chinese but all the other parts are high quality USA pieces, and are assembled in Tennessee by Skip’s team. They look great too, and have both bolt patterns so you can use vortec or old style intake and valve covers. They’re also available with straight or angled plugs. I paid $599 for the pair about five years ago, dunno what they’re selling for today but probably not much more. They’ve sold thousands of these heads and they’re popular for a reason, they work!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. Would u recommend getting them pre assembled with there parts or order my own parts and build them with parts of my choice?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the input. Would u recommend getting them pre assembled with there parts or order my own parts and build them with parts of my choice?
I would say let them assemble them, unless you prefer doing it yourself. Obviously they have plenty of experience working with these heads. I don’t think you would be saving much $ by doing it yourself

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright I'm still undecided if I want to do the skips or darts. Haven't really heard a down fall on each yet, but starting to lean towards the skips just cause they are a bit cheaper. Gonna do more research on the darts just cause I havent done much on those. Been really diving in to the skips tho. Thanks everybody for the input so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts