Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished my 71 C10 and the front brakes are trying to lock up. I jack the tire up and it spins ok, but when I drive it the front disc try to lock up and they get really hot. Can the problem be the proportioning valve? Help! Thanks

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I finished my 71 C10 and the front brakes are trying to lock up. I jack the tire up and it spins ok, but when I drive it the front disc try to lock up and they get really hot. Can the problem be the proportioning valve? Help! Thanks
Really need more info on parts used to help...was this disc brake originally..?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
there are a few things check the lines that they are not twisted or kinked. could be caliper sticking. You really need to look at them and give us more info

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have new calipers, rotors, pads, new lines, master cylinder, and it was originally disc in front. Setting in garage cool the wheels spin normal, I can hear the pads drag on the rotors a little. When I drive it, the brake get tighter and both wheels are smoking when I stop. I hope this helps more. I'm lost. Thanks

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
while setting in the garage COOL everything raise the truck and remove the front wheels. Rotate the wheels, hit the brake pedal hard. check to see if one or the other is tight.. If one is then that's where you problem starts. Try collapsing the tight one with a screw driver. If it doesn't collaps loosen the bleeder screw, and try again. It should go right in and spit out fluid from the bleeder. If this happens I'd guess the problem is up stream. Hose, kinked steel line. master cylinder. Just because it came in a NEW box don't always mean its good. You just have to go through all the BS to find it. anim_25 and lets us know what you find

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Couple of things come to mind, Master did it come as a kit,
#1 ( are there metering valves in the ports of the master )
#2 ( prop valve has it shifted off center when bleeding the system )
#3 ( brake pedal rod too long thereby having pressure on the master to begin with )

start with number three first...! There should be only 20 thousands clearance from pedal ro to master as freeplay if its tight then thats your issue, too much and you have too much pedal freeplay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Front brakes

First are tour brakes Disc or drums ? If you had drums the brake shoes may need to taken down a little on your automatic adjuster . If it is Disc it may be you should take a look at your spindle nut . And take a close look at your bearings they be on a bind from being wore out and putting a bind on it once the weight of the truck is on them .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts