Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a 700r4 into my 72, the driveline had a th350, I heard that the drive shaft needs to be shortened 3", is that correct, is that standard or does each one need to be customized, I found a shop that can shorten my driveshaft but they need a measurement. I read it was 3" for a short shaft th350 which is what I removed.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, my issue is I have the engine and new tranny installed and then nothing to give the suspension the proper setting, also I have a 2 piece drive shaft. I have the shaft out with the old carrier bearing, I have the new carrier bearing on the truck but I think that it will need to be installed on the driveshaft before installing it. I wasn't sure where to get the new measurement from as I have had the shaft and bearing off for a while so I no longer have the marks where it was originally installed. I was thinking of taking the shaft apart and installing the rear half and see if I could get a measurement on the forward shaft but I am not sure that the measurement from the bearing to the tranny would be a correct measurement.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Yeah, my issue is I have the engine and new tranny installed and then nothing to give the suspension the proper setting, also I have a 2 piece drive shaft. I have the shaft out with the old carrier bearing, I have the new carrier bearing on the truck but I think that it will need to be installed on the driveshaft before installing it. I wasn't sure where to get the new measurement from as I have had the shaft and bearing off for a while so I no longer have the marks where it was originally installed. I was thinking of taking the shaft apart and installing the rear half and see if I could get a measurement on the forward shaft but I am not sure that the measurement from the bearing to the tranny would be a correct measurement.
You can make that a one piece drive line, many have just to eliminate the two piece...just be sure to let the builder know as they will build it from a heavier gauge tube...( or at least they should ).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard of that but didn't consider it, I will have to talk to my drive line guy and see what that will cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts