Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out Saturday and my new battery was dead. Charged the battery and then clipped a test light to the batt cable and other end to pos post. Light came on. Pulled fuses and light stayed on. Disconnected wire to horn relay and light went out. Figured stuck relay so ordrred a new one and installed it. Same problem. Truck hes stock steering column and wheel. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I hate charging issues...here`s ahelpful site Dan, this will get you started in the right direction to test alternator...you do have a alternator and not a generator right...?
http://www.labscopes.com/index_files/Page423.htm

Here`s a quick version..
In my opinion best and easiest way to test the diode block while the alternator is still on the engine is to do an AC ripple test with a digital multimeter. Just start up the car, turn on the headlights to remove surface charge off the battery. This will force the alternator to switch on. Next set the meter to AC Volts. With the engine running put the positive lead of the meter to the "BAT" terminal on the alternator and hold it there. Then place the negative meter lead onto the negative post on the battery. If you get a meter reading of more than 1.5 Volts AC (1 1/2 Volts AC) the diode block in the alternator is bad and needs replaced. Its a real simple test that only takes a few seconds to perform. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rich for the info. Will check it all out. Never knew that test for the diode. Will for sure remember that one.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Any ideas?
Buy a battery disconnect switch and put it in the cab. Then you can easily flip the switch every time you exit the vehicle. It's a good theft deterrent too!

I did this on both my old "off topic" Hot Rods. On my C10 I simply pull the negative battery cable off each time I park it overnight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have those battery disconnects on a couple cars. I should put on on the truck. But I did find out the problem is in the column. The bushing in there is worn and I think the horn wire is rubbed raw. I unplugged the horn wire at the relay and the problem went away. I need to restore the truck again but my 10 year old German Shepard loved riding in HIS truck and I don't want to take it apart at this late stage of his life. Guess I just might redo the column during the snowy part of winter and have that part done. Too many projects and not enough time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts