Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for a friend of a friend. Sunday I was asked to look at a 65 with a V8 sitting in it. They said it was draining the battery.

I only had a few minutes and inaccurate meter but it would show a voltage drain. The battery actually looked good and the headlights would come on pretty bright to confirm. However when you turn the key on the gages would dance a bit but it obviously wasn't trying to send power to the starter (confirmed with meter). Tried another battery from a running vehicle with same results. Finally I tested the fuses and they all showed power on both sides except the second one down which didn't have power to it at all.

I'm convinced that instead of a drain they have a broken wire somewhere but I need to know where to look. Do these trucks have the stupid box that mounts on the firewall of the 73-86 trucks that goes out and gives a similar problem? If so where do they hide it on a 65?

Again
65 with a small block
Battery tests good and lights work
Second fuse from top of box is dead no power to either side.
Gages dance when key is turned on but starter silonoid not getting signal.

Just trying to get a truck running for a lady. It was her daddy's baby and has been sitting for a year because they can't figure it out.I just don't know where to start tracing this short/broken wire.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
No there is not a stupid box like the later models, the `64 to `66 has the simplest wiring of all, run a continuity check on the solenoid wire, it`s the purple wire coming out of the firewall plug next to the heater box and engine, that will trigger the solenoid, solenoid could be stuck or burnt as well which would show the same issue ... you can replace the solenoid without removing the starter, disconnect the wires, two standard screws either side turn the solenoid clockwise it should just side off of the starter. second fuse down is lights for the panel You can remove the one bolt of the fuse panel and flip it over to check the wring on the backside to the fuse block sense you found it dead on both ends of the terminals and Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here...sign0016

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome to the board from Central California. I agree with 406 about the fuse block. When I turned mine over this is what I found...

anim_25

1 - 3 of 3 Posts