Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, so i recently bought a 65 chevy 1/2 ton longbed, i drove it with no problems for about a month then started to get a large fuel leak from the fuel sending unit to where it connects to the metal fuel line. i figured the threads were stripped so i replaced it with a new one. i installed it carefully and found no further leaks. next time i filled up it started to leak from the fuel filler neck to where it connects to the rubber hose near gas cap. i reinstalled the clamp, smoked it and found no more leaks. a few days later it started to leak again from the fuel sending unit to the metal fuel line again. i can't figure out how/why these leaks keep persisting. it seems to happen after i fill up with gas. the last leak was so large it poured right through the floor and left huge puddle within minutes. when i removed the fuel cap i noticed it released a lot of pressure. could something be causing excessive pressure to build? can anyone offer advice?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Sounds like you do not have a vented cap, these trucks were designed with a vented cap, you nailed right on the head with ( pressure ) when you released the cap. You`ll have to order one thru LMC or Classic parts. Actually I surprised it ran, most cases the truck will die from fuel starvation.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
On other thing I might note is when you fill up do not fill up into the neck of the tank unless you plan on driving it for a while. Tanks in the cabs tend to heat the gas up, gas expands a lot thereby pushing it out thru the vented cap. You actually get more gas for your dollar during the winter months than during the summer months because the gas is more dense.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts