Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my C10 in the UK about 5 months ago, and my understanding was over the different production years, they all had subtle changes.

I was sold my C10 on the premise that it was a 63' C10. I had no reason to question this as the VIN matched, however upon further inspection, it has the 64 style flat windscreen and doors. Yet the 63 grille?
Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Plant

I could understand the 63 grille being fitted perhaps as a replacement. However I'm confused as to how a truck with a 63 VIN has the same window style as the 64?
Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Plant

·
Registered
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
243 Posts
Got pictures?

·
Registered
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
243 Posts
I meant of the truck..I see them now. I was having troubles earlier viewing pictures. What is the 6th number? Looks like an O? All the vins for trucks I read, don't list an O. But if you look at GM vins, then it is Oakland.

"The factory (Oakland) recognized that the facility needed to be upgraded for more modern manufacturing methods and in the summer of 1963, it was replaced by Freemont Assembly"

It's possible your truck was one of the last ones made there, especially with the 64 features. You may have something special there?

My 64 came out of California..gonna have to look at vin tomorrow..interesting...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Can we see a picture of your grill..and do you have the dual pod dash or the flat 64 dash? The truck is GMC or Chevy? Small or big back window?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can we see a picture of your grill..and do you have the dual pod dash or the flat 64 dash? The truck is GMC or Chevy? Small or big back window?
Many thanks for your earlier information, from my limited knowledge the grill looks to be a 63'.Please see attached image.

With the VIN number it does appear to be a O, albeit it's quite worn.

It also came with the small back window, it was badged as a Chevy when I received it.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

·
Super Moderator
144 Posts
I know there may be possibly good , genuine reasons why a replacement VIN number plate was fitted but is this not a matter of concern ? Or is there further proof everything is legit ? Some owners are not happy on the older cars if even the pop rivets are wrong

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know there may be possibly good , genuine reasons why a replacement VIN number plate was fitted but is this not a matter of concern ? Or is there further proof everything is legit ? Some owners are not happy on the older cars if even the pop rivets are wrong
It is of concern to me, as I was sold it as a 63. I'm not too bothered about what year my truck is, as I just wanted to own one.

However I would be bothered if someone sold it me on false pretences. I don't believe this is the case, as the vehicle title has been long lost, and the original title isn't necessary to register a vehicle in the UK.

A local club dated it as 63 and provided a certificate to say so, however I'm not sure how accurate this is.

Would it not have any other age related markings, perhaps on the chassis or something?

·
Registered
82 Posts
If engine is original there should be casting numbers to support 63. My 66 I just got matches the engine code for the year. Axle housing number also matches as did the year on the posi, but the gears were off by three years newer, so that told me the rear end had a issue early in life.

·
Super Moderator
144 Posts
A retired LAPD friend of mine mentioned a few years back that they had access to a catalogue , book where it listed all hidden body locations of chassis / Vin numbers that they often used to check or verify if stolen vehicle or otherwise .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If engine is original there should be casting numbers to support 63. My 66 I just got matches the engine code for the year. Axle housing number also matches as did the year on the posi, but the gears were off by three years newer, so that told me the rear end had a issue early in life.
I'm not at home to check the rear Axle, but the engine number I have.

3866922, I think this is any time between 62-65?

·
Registered
82 Posts
My Engine number is FOII7 WF per tag on front right of engine.

Where did you pull the number from?

The number you posted is similar to my rear axle housing. Mine is 3856525 on it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just went back and looked at the front end pics. My grill is stamped Chevrolet. These C-10s are new to me, so I don't know if they are were stamped that way. I would assume the GM ones were not and had badging elsewhere?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my C10 in the UK about 5 months ago, and my understanding was over the different production years, they all had subtle changes.

I was sold my C10 on the premise that it was a 63' C10. I had no reason to question this as the VIN matched, however upon further inspection, it has the 64 style flat windscreen and doors. Yet the 63 grille?
View attachment 6355

I could understand the 63 grille being fitted perhaps as a replacement. However I'm confused as to how a truck with a 63 VIN has the same window style as the 64? View attachment 6355
What’s the VIN, that’s a 64-66 VIN should start with 4C14 5C14 etc. if it says 3C14 somebody swapped it for whatever reason but it’s no 63.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've done a lot of reading...I think they replaced the vin. Oakland only made 1963 trucks before they closed and everything moved to Freemont

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What’s the VIN, that’s a 64-66 VIN should start with 4C14 5C14 etc. if it says 3C14 somebody swapped it for whatever reason but it’s not 63.
This chart suggests that it could start with a 3. What confuses me is that is that my VIN should go 4...and then a letter, but it goes 4-0 which seems odd to me.
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Pattern

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've done a lot of reading...I think they replaced the vin. Oakland only made 1963 trucks before they closed and everything moved to Freemont
Just to throw another spanner in the works, on one of the wings it still has the C10 emblem. It's a 63' style, and It looks like the other side had an identical one, until it fell off, or was stolen 😅
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car

1 - 20 of 25 Posts