Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,

I am having issues with my c10. 230 inline6. Truck starts. runs in idle. but when I take it out for a drive about 1/4 into drive she starts to hesitate then shut off. How do I remove any rust particle inside gas tank? how do I check the fuel pump is working?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
hello everyone,

I am having issues with my c10. 230 inline6. Truck starts. runs in idle. but when I take it out for a drive about 1/4 into drive she starts to hesitate then shut off. How do I remove any rust particle inside gas tank? how do I check the fuel pump is working?
Lou did you see the first post on your question, it was answered..!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you sure it's fuel? Take the line off from the pump and see if it is pumping good there. Could have rust in the lines. Or you could have a coil acting up when it gets hot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had same problem

It is rust in your tank. When first started rust is at bottom of tank but when you drive it raises rust and mixes with gas. The fuel pickup has fine mesh filter screen that begins to clog the longer it runs the worse it gets. Pull over, turn off and after 5 minutes or so all the rust will have dropped off and truck can be started again. Time to pull tank and clean or replace. Replace pickup and sender as it will be corroded and rust covered. Many different ways to clean and seal old tank.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We are fortunate that so many parts are reproduced for this truck. I found that I could buy a new tank for significantly less that I could get my rusty tank reconditioned. It is good advice to replace the pickup and sender too. If your tank is that rusty, you have rust in your carburetor bowl too. The photo shows what I found in the carb of my 66.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts