Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been driving my `64 for the last 19 years sense last make over, now started on the next make over, just completed rear tank install.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did first make over, in `93, engine / trans / paint been a daily driver sense, now that I retired need to do it all over again. first pic from `93, second pic is current look. As said just got thru with rear tank install, it was fun, filler in the left rear corner of bed, last pic, can not see tank from rear.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this morning at 5:00 am I`m browsing CL as usuall, saw an add for an eldebrock intake # 2104, brand new, never installed, the guy wanted $150, so what the heck, decided to go have a look at it, the wifey had to drive me there, I`m saddled with a bad disc right now, waiting for surgery, anyways so she`s giving me the evil eye and what for, we get there, and the guy said he`s had on CL for about eight weeks, I never saw it, he should have never said that...I told him that, I was really looking for an air gap, he then said he would go as low as a hundred, sold I told him, it was what I was looking for, just didnot want him to know that, my motor is reatively stock, `92 TBI 350, with the 10110810 heads, 65 CC, 194/150 valves, with the ramp inside the intake port, actually flow really well up to 5500, where this truck is all the time, milage is great, even with 3.73 gears.....so the intake also has the rear coolant crossover, I`ll go ahead and rebuild another quadrajet for it if I can find one in decent shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
Nice 64 Rich,I love my 78 but really have always been partial to the 64-66 short models,either stepside or fleetside.And that manifold,what a deal,good going and good luck with the surgery.
David

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I`m tossing around the idea of changing to a holley spreadbore, although not commited to it, I have one on hand, I have been running the quadrajet for the last 20 years sense I built the truck, I like the milage, just can`t decide, opinions welcome, its one thing I do have is carbs sitting around,
1-Carter AVS competition
1-Eldebrock 500
2-Quadrajets 1-750, 1-800
1-Holley-600 Vacuum sec
2-Holley-750 Vacuum sec
1-Holley-650 spreadbore vacuum sec
1-Holley-780 CFM vacuum sec, 1971 BBC 396 numbers carb, Calif.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Started to clean some old lower shock mounts for mods for the `64, put them in a five gallon bucket with white vinegar for four days... here`s the results..

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't remember the model number, but back in the early 70's I had a Holley spreadbore double pumper on my 283/54 Chevy.

My all time favorite carb. The mileage was pretty decent (as best I remember) on the primaries (which wasn't very often). I blasted around town all the time. The big back barrels were like flushing a toilet. I had a 30/30 cam, 4 speed, and 4.11 gears. It never bogged with the squirters, but frequently laid down a black smoke screen as it was just too rich.

I think I paid about $125 for it new and let it go with the car, intending to go right back to the store and buy another one. In the midst of all the smog stuff going on at the time, it had been reclassified a racing carburetor and was now over $300. Needless to say it was the only one I ever owned. I don't think they produced that model very long either.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They still make that one Mark its the 4165....just changed a little, its the same one I have although I believe it may have had a differant list number back on the first one issued...they also list the 4175, 6210, 6212...if you ever use one the biggest issue is to put a whistle in...( baffle for the floats to prevent runover when braking ) not sure why holley never addressed this, still the same after 40 years.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dragging out the hood this morning, my proposed cowl hood, I going to need Steve`s advise on this or anybody else that has formed sheet metal, finished picking up a bunch of birch lumber ( old futons ) will glue and laminate the thickness I need, shape with sanders, grinders, to fit the v-detail in the hood but to outside shape of an original GM cowl hood, approimately 18 inches wide before it rolls off each side and down in the front as seen on the camaros, I`m thinking I need to make all my contours with the wood buck a little more pronounced as to compensate for the metal to spring back...? Using a semi hard rubber mallet and beating it into submission, Planning on building this as a set on top and weld in using a 110 lincoln mig welder, am I getting myself into trouble doing it this way..?

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I took a chance on Fleabay last Monday and bought a cheap $15.00 dollar tach the lens was cracked and the lower mount broke, but the seller said it did work, when I can get to it it will be mounted in the dash pod as well as a vaccum gauge on either side, pic of copy of the one I bought. Hopefully soon to look like this.. Note speedometer reading on this unit,

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tach came in the mail today, actually really quick surprising for the us mail, its actually a two inch tach in a 3.5 cup, anyways it will fit the dash placement really nice, I will post pics of the tach tomorrow.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Tiny Tach

Rich,

You ever driven a vehicle with one of those little tachometers? It' so small, and the sweep is so tight, they are almost useless as a tachometer. For oil pressure, volts or temperature, sure, but for a tach., not so much.

Sorry if I'm a "buzz kill" but I'd hate to see you go to all that trouble to put it in the dash, and then have you find out it wasn't very functional.

Ever thought about placing a tach up on the dash, or maybe on the a-pillar?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its for aesthetics and no other reason, and as well as for the vaccum gauge..if I really wanted a good tach in there I would have put in my Don garlits or the sun super tach 2, or the sun retro...sitting on the shelf, well the retro is in the dart...!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still glueing and screwing the 1.5 x 2 inch birch strips then half to use a contour gauge to copy the reveal, at least for the front section, ( I think ) all this will be laid and glued atop a 2x4 base, I`ll have to hammer this on the driveway as I don`t have steel bench to work on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Kudos for even considering building a custom hood - in metal. I'm looking to do one in the spring, but out of fiberglass. Different style however. Tons of work and money to build a buck just to create the mold. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts