Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I picked up a 64 1/2 ton stepside recently. It has a 12 bolt diff. installed, that appears to have been in since day 1. My truck is a 230 6cyl. It was born with a 3-speed, but a long time ago it was converted to a PG, for the 2nd owner, a lady who could not deal with a manual. My understanding is that 1/2 tons had only 10 bolts. My questions is, could my 12 bolt be original to my truck, or did someone change it from a 10 to a 12? It's a 6 lug setup, too. Thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
The Chevy 12 bolt "truck style" rear axles (6 lug wheel bolt pattern) were standard equipment. The Chevy truck 12 bolt is different than the Chevy car 12 bolt.

Hope that helps!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
If I`m not mistaken by the terminology here when we refer to the axles as 12 bolt we are actually identifying the amount of bolts on the ring gear, 10 or 12 bolts holding the ring gear in place....not the cover, but in some cases the covers do have 12 bolts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my case, I was referring to the number of bolts holding on the cover. The reason I'm asking is that I wanted to drain and refill the diff. I went to my local NAPA for a replacement gasket, and was told that a 10 bolt gasket was what was listed for my application. I told the guy that unless I can't count to 12, I was sure that there were 12 bolts holding on that cover. I was correct. So, I still need to source a gasket. Anyone have a good # for a Felpro replacement?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just take the cover with me to the store, lay the gasket on it at the store to make sure it fits, they'll find it for you that way.....most will, anyway.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Lokked it under chevyand doesnt show 12 bolt.Looked it up under GMC and it shows 4 different 10 bolts and a 12bolt.FelPro 12 bolt gasket # RDS13391

·
Registered
493 Posts
Gasket.. We Don't Need No Stinkin' Gasket :)

No gasket is needed. I always used to use one too. Lets keep it simple....

Just go to your local parts place and buy some RTV made for differential covers. Pull the cover, clean the housing and the cover, then apply a bead of RTV to the housing. Bolt the cover on and your good to go.

I've done this on everything from Jeeps to classic old school Chevy C-10's, no drips, no runs, no errors's

Gasket have their place... this ain't one of them, IMHO.

Hope that helps!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts