Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We work a lot of hours on customers cars but every Friday at 5 we shut down, grab a beer and work on our own projects or shop projects. Last night I removed the exhaust, drive shaft, got the brake/fuel lines pulled away from the frame. We laid out our lines, cut the chassis and got it all lined back up and tacked it back in place.

The chassis under my 62 is not the original. I believe it is somewhere around a 72 chassis. I am guessing they put the 62 body onto a chassis with power steering and disc brakes. The hardest part of this build is fixing things that weren't done right like the cab mounts. Monday I have to pay the local steel supply shop a visit to get steel to box in the chassis where we shortened it and get steel to make new cab mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Its always fun following up someone else who has no idea what they were doing. Looks like you got a great jump on it thanks for the pic's.
anim_25

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Nice job, its always fun redoing PO hack jobs and the creative ways its done is just hilarious...16coffee

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job, its always fun redoing PO hack jobs and the creative ways its done is just hilarious...16coffee
its my world! here is someones wiring job on a 69 big block c-10. I'm pretty good at going back through and cleaning stuff up but this one is getting a new harness

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ya the wiring looks a mess.We go to a lot of shows\cruise-ins,and see some really nice cars\trucks.
Hours spent on body and paint and fabrication,all to be diminished by the wiring.I have seen some
that looks like someone took a wad of wire,stood back a few feet ,and threw it at the vehicle and
let it find its own place.Kinda one of pet peaves,especially plug wires.Oh and by the way welcome
to the site.Look forward to more pics

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
update - made new cab mounts and shortened the bed

Went last week and got material to make new cab mounts. Friday my brother and I tacked on the rear mounts he made then once we took tons of measurements we removed the front mounts and installed new ones he made. I don't know what the mounts were from but whoever welded them on it looked like bubble gum and they were all wrong, not being able to find mounts for a 62 we made new ones. I took pictures but they were blurry, when we take the cab off to paint the chassis I will get pictures.

Yesterday we took the bed apart and started cutting it down. 12 in the front and 8 out of the rear, got them tacked back together and bolted back up enough to sit it on the chassis. I hadn't cut the 8 inches off the rear of the chassis yet, luckily I didn't because I only need to cut around 7 inches off.. that will be this week. although time consuming cutting down the bedsides was fairly easy and everything went back together very nicely.

Of course I helped but all the credit goes to my brother, hes the welder/fabricator.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
almost forgot! Friday night I went to a local guy who has a small sawmill. he sells wood and is a really skilled wood worker. He's starting on my bed floor this week. I went with Osage Orange. North Americas hardest wood, they used to say "make a fence post using osage orange and it will still be around for your grandkids" ok.. I might have messed up the quote but something like that.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Great job on the bed shortening, keep the pics coming ..!

·
Registered
12 Posts
nice truck done a 66 to short with a ls1 3.5 is from a 2001 gmc xtended cab useing under hood fuse box trans is a 4l60e 03 got it running legal an driveable working on the bed sides the ls1 power steering works an steers great next thing to do to tha money pit is to wire signals tail brake head lights off the under hood fuse box any body ever done the lighting nsm let me know

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haven't had much time to work on my 62. lot going on in the shop though. We got the 51 in paint, 31 is going back together and I've been rewiring a 69 c10 big block truck, some of the worse wiring I've ever seen. the picture of wiring is the old alternator wiring, there are 7 butt connectors in that small section of wiring! what a mess!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts