Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started a couple weeks ago. Hadn't driven it for a couple weeks, had some bad weather. Had to jump it, drove for forty minutes, stopped it and started and it fired up right away. Drove for a bit more that day and it had no more trouble starting. Four days later, same thing. Jumped it, drove for over 30 minutes, fired right up after being shut off. Now about a week later, jumped it, drove for 30, but had no charge after I shut it off and tried to start. I'm hoping it's just the voltage regulator, but maybe the battery's kaput or the generator's done. Any thoughts? Just bought a digital multimeter to learn how to do charge tests.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I think I'd have the battery checked. That is what it sounds like. I have changed all my generator vehicles 12 volts to one wire alternators. There are tests for the regulator but I'd start with the battery. anim_25

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I had this problem with my plow truck. After a lot of checking I found I had a weak short in one of the plow coils. How I found it was put a test light between the + cable and the + post. if the light comes on and your ignition and every thing else is off, you have a short or at least a load you don't have turned off. I just started pulling fuses then wires till I found it. These things can be a real pain

1 - 6 of 6 Posts