Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1964 1/2 has a 230ci. I just noticed that my alternator pulley was slightly out of alignment with the water pump and crank pulleys. The alternator pulley is slightly further back than the other two, and all three should be in direct alignment, in my opinion. It's not severe enough to throw a belt, but it's not correct.
The alternator is a Delco, not some aftermarket thing, and the brackets are the stock factory installed ones. There are no shims to allow movement of the alternator housing forward to achieve correct alignment. The issue here is either the alternator case is different, or the alternator pulley is different than what I need.. A quick call to my NAPA store finds one part number for both 6 and 8 cylinder. Anyone out there with a 6 cyl have this issue? Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just measured it. It appears to be 1/4" back from being in alignment with the water pump and crank pulleys, which are in perfect alignment with each other. In other words, the alternator would need to come forward 1/4" toward the radiator to align with the other two pulleys. I can see no adjustment on the lower alternator bracket, just two bolts that go into the block, no fore/aft adjustment.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I wonder if the brackets were from a 292 from a previous owner or was the original motor a 292, with 230 brackets.....just throwing this out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some photos which I hope show exactly what I'm talking about. If you guys need other views, let me know. There is no adjustment that I can see to move the alternator forward. I know that this alternator is not the original one that came with the truck when it was new. I'm wondering if the OE alternator for a 6 cylinder application was in some way different, or was the 6 cyl and V8 alternator the same PN (I don't have a parts book to look this up.) Maybe someone on this forum has a truck with a 230 6 like mine and can check their alternator/brackets/alignment.
Automotive tire Tread Tire Rim Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread Automotive exterior Bumper

Automotive tire Gas Machine Engineering Auto part

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
This is all it shows in the AIM manual, shot with an iPad hope it comes out. Note the upper bracket seems to bend slightly forward, does not show the lower mount. Not much help, does not say which engine either.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

Another pic......

·
Registered
797 Posts
I would check with a starter\alternator rebuilder in your area.If you dont have let me know,we have several here that might be able to give an answer.Im thinking there was a pulley that had a shoulder on it that spaced it out from the fan.Worked on a bunch of those trucks but seems memory is slipping

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would check with a starter\alternator rebuilder in your area.If you dont have let me know,we have several here that might be able to give an answer.Im thinking there was a pulley that had a shoulder on it that spaced it out from the fan.Worked on a bunch of those trucks but seems memory is slipping
I'm thinking the same as you are, perhaps the alternator pulley is different than the V8 type, and should be swapped over when replacing the alternator. I'll see if there are any rebuilders in the Phoenix area that might know the answer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts