Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and please forgive my ignorance.

I'm strongly considering buying a 1963 c10 and have noticed a wide range of upgrades people list. High among them are "5 lug conversions", but I really don't know what that is about. I know that if I buy a truck that hasn't already been converted to power disc brakes that will be the first thing I do to it, but in looking I noticed that there are 5 and 6 lug options.

So, I would appreciate any insight into why one would convert from 6 to 5 lugs, and if there is more to it than ordering the 5 lug power disc brake kit for front and rear.

And while I'm at it, what else should I be on the lookout for or aware of as I jump into buying a classic truck and fixing it up, aside from getting one with as little rust as possible?

Thank you for any/all insight!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Typically folks change to 5 lug from 6 lug due to wheel availability. 5 spoke wheels look pretty cool on this era truck.

I didn't change my '65, and kind of like it when I see other trucks sportin' their original patterns too. Old School Cool ;)

So you're contemplating a '63? It's a great choice, perhaps the best choice of the 60-66 years. The 60-62's had an x frame and torsion bars on the front. In '63 they updated to the ladder style frame and front coil springs, but '63 is the only year with the wrap around windshield and the updated suspension.

And sign0016 to the forum Champ. If you end up getting the '63 be sure to post up some photo's.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum Champ glad you joined in the madness, as they have said wheel availability and choice really widens up with five lug, six lug unless you run and like the 6 lug blazer style wheels or custom order steel wheels that is about your only choice, normal rust points are; lower rockers, lower front of doors, lower rear of front fenders, bed sills, lower rear of cab corners, they sell replacement panels, the worst case scenario is the top of cab front and windsheild frame at the top...run away from these, they do sell windshield panels but very difficult to replace, if its the top, you`ll need to find a donor cab... custom cabs which was a trim level came in big and small back window and one other note as to the wrap around window cabs pay particular attention to the dog leg in the cab as the door opens, they are known rust pockets, and wrap around windsheilds are very expensive...post up some pics if you aquire it...anim_25

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 6 lug pattern has a 3.5" hub and makes the availability of wheels very scarce. I am about to do the 5 lug swap now myself just for the simple fact of making it much easier to buy and find wheels.

·
Registered
93 Posts
you can swap the entire front suspension crossmember and all under a older 60 and up Pk. That gives you 5 lug disk brakes. And you can use a bracket and add power steering. At a fraction of the cost to convert the original suspension to 6 lug disk brakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts