Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I have a 63 c10 long bed with inline 6, I bought a 81 c10 long bed to use as a donor vehicle for the cross member swap, 12 bolt rear end swap, power brakes and power steering ect... I have 454tbi with a 4L80E to put in the truck. My question is does anybody use the 4L80E in there trucks? I've done numerous searches and nothing comes up on the subject. Will it fit? Or tight fit? anybody know? Does the 454 mount ok with the new cross member? Is the distributor in the way?
Thanks for your responses

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Kevinde1 First off sign0016 To C10 Truck the 4l80e will and dose work behind the 454. I have done this many times BUT I can not say for sure it will fit in a 63 C10.Or K10. Let us know how it works out for you.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Hello I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I have a 63 c10 long bed with inline 6, I bought a 81 c10 long bed to use as a donor vehicle for the cross member swap, 12 bolt rear end swap, power brakes and power steering ect... I have 454tbi with a 4L80E to put in the truck. My question is does anybody use the 4L80E in there trucks? I've done numerous searches and nothing comes up on the subject. Will it fit? Or tight fit? anybody know? Does the 454 mount ok with the new cross member? Is the distributor in the way?
Thanks for your responses
Kevin, the 4L80E will work fine for your install, when you get the front crossmember installed first, there are two sets of holes that the lower engine perches sit it, the first mod will make the install much easier if you drill new holes between the other holes, thus giving ample room behind the distributor and not encroaching on the radiator so you can use a shroud on the radiator. Use the `81 transmission mount as well as your original will be useless. Then its just having a driveline built after the rear axle install...many guys call the 4L80E a 700r4...probably why you don`t see many tags...the only place you may see some interference will be the seam on the lower part of the firewall, if its an issue just use a grinder and grind the seam down a little just to clear...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks 406Rich, that clears things up, I was wondering why I never seen 4L80E. So is the 4L80E and 700R4 the same transmission? Thanks for your replies. Time to get to work:)

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
yes but the E means electric the shifting is controlled by the computer. 700R4 shifts by valves a much better trans for use in older trucks. Just never tow in OD or you will be pulling it out for repair

·
Registered
800 Posts
700R4 is the same as 4L60(E).E being electronic.4L80 is a bigger trans,also electronic shift.4L80 is similar to a TH400 but with od.Most 4L80's came from 3\4 and 1 ton trucks.The pans are completely different with the 700 pan being almost square.70R4's were rebadged as 4L60 then 4L60E,4L65E,and I think 4L70E

·
Registered
5 Posts
-

A 4L80E is probably the best transmission you can get behind any engine. I swapped an LQ4/4L80E into my 62 C10, no problem whatsoever. Used an 89 2500 single driveshaft cut down slightly and presto - all's good. Imagine a Turbo 400 w/overdrive . . . thats a 4L80E. It will be perfect behind that big block. Stahl convertors are high dollar though -

1 - 7 of 7 Posts