Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I'm trying to understand what makes a 4L60 (92 yr) work its lockup torque converter from a 1992 year Truck in the way it should. As for what I understand the trans is not controlled by a computer. I know there is a 4L60E trans that is controlled by a computer but not a 4L60.

Here is why I'm asking the above question in the way I am asking it. I have a 68 C10 SBC that has a 92 4L60 (casting# 8676358, ID/Suffix Code 2FTM098H, MD8) all ready in it when it was bought in running condition. It has the TV cable hooked up to a Holley 600 vac sec with the Geometry Corrector bracket along with the correct Throttle Cable bracket modified for my stock throttle rod mechanism, I have adjusted the TV cable as required and it does Now go through all the gears much better then before.

I haven't opened up the pan to see whats inside it for any modifications if it has any so at this point I have no idea if it has any up grades or any aftermarket items to it. I also should say that the trans has NO wires going into or out of it from the drivers side behind the out going shift linkage selector lever/rod.

How can I make the trans hookup in its lockup system in a simple way (maybe Factory) without a mass of parts or aftermarket parts. All help or links would be much appreciated, thanks, Marvin

·
Registered
800 Posts
4L60 is shift controlled by tv cable and govenor.Lockup is controlled electrically.You could simply wire in a toggle switch or you could use a vacuum switch to to energize the converter solenoid.The solenoid mounts next to where the filter goes in.Some solenoids were 1 wire and some 2.Just wire as needed to energize and youll have lockup.I have mine wired with both a toggle switch and a vacuum switch.In town I turn it off,out on the highway I turn it on and let the vacuum switch control it depending on engine load.I thin most people just put it on a toggle switch.Also SK Transco makes a kit that will do it hydraulically,but I dont think it will work with a 92 valvebody.I used this on a Toyota FJ V-8 conversion,92 4L60 and 90 valvebody from a suburban.It worked really well

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4L60 is shift controlled by tv cable and govenor.Lockup is controlled electrically.You could simply wire in a toggle switch or you could use a vacuum switch to to energize the converter solenoid.The solenoid mounts next to where the filter goes in.Some solenoids were 1 wire and some 2.Just wire as needed to energize and youll have lockup.I have mine wired with both a toggle switch and a vacuum switch.In town I turn it off,out on the highway I turn it on and let the vacuum switch control it depending on engine load.I thin most people just put it on a toggle switch.Also SK Transco makes a kit that will do it hydraulically,but I dont think it will work with a 92 valvebody.I used this on a Toyota FJ V-8 conversion,92 4L60 and 90 valvebody from a suburban.It worked really well
Thanks Blue Goose, I'll have to do some research now on the SK Transco kit and the valve body miss matching 92 to 90.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts