Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what I have is a 1983 GMC short wide box it's lowered a couple inches has a posi 3.55gears, Ford 9-in rear end, turbo 350trans a 400 small block Chevy has headers two and a half inch flowmasters and an Edelbrock performer RPM intake with a Edelbrock carb 600 CFM it's a model 1400 I'm not sure what the cam is it's not stock and I need ideas on performance upgrades to get this thing just a little bit quicker so any ideas please help thanks I will post pics as soon as I can.

·
Super Moderator
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
890 Posts
Like flopshot said..what do you hope to accomplish? You can go to a taller gear..going to a 3:73 isn't going to be much difference from a 3:55. But going to a 4:10 would. You also have to consider tire size..that affects your gear ratio as well.

An EFI setup might help, you can monitor and tweak every little thing. A rebuild... .30 over would make a 406 motor..which is a spunky motor depending on the internals.

And fyi a 2 bolt main 400 block is beefier than a 4 bolt due to the crank size and amount of material. Opposite of a 350 motor. Just a few ideas..of course a big block would do the trick too😄😃

·
Registered
65 Posts
off the top, whoever put that nine inch rear in was anticpating some serious horsepower. like Dave said an EFI would help with any way you want to go with it but at least you could go with a bigger carb. a factory 396 could handle a 750 on the street with no driveability issues. how is the rear end hung under the truck ? leaf springs, ladder bar, four link ?

·
Super Moderator
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
890 Posts
A 396 is a big block vs a 400 small block.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I'm working toward a nice cruiser that I can take to the strip and rip some nice fast passes I don't know my head's numbers yet but after removing the xcelorator intake I did see that the heads have had some work done. They were ported to match the gasket and intake and look to have nice double springs which I do realize can also be stock on some heads. The 9" is hung on leafs with ladder bars that are preloaded I'm interested in going 406 and when cash flow is right enough getting a stroker kit with better long rods. So for my cam lifters and rockers as well as hopefully my head's $$ permitting... I'd like to make those picks based on the stroker finished plan .. just picked up some vortec heads for free but zero promises on condition or worthiness to build. So still hoping to get a good set of possible. Also just found out on one of the old work trucks sitting here I have a tbi intake that's an Edelbrock performer sitting on the old 454bb... I didn't even know they made one.lol. So if someone needs it let me know I guess. Engines no good to me so I don't need it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and I'm looking for a 750 CFM to replace the small carb I've got and I think some 3.91 or 4.11 gears would be great when I can get to that step. Oh and someone asked my tire size... Thinking 285 or or 305 60 16" currently.. but may be off on the size. I'll know in about an hour when I get home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts