Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent most of my years just fixing what was already in a truck, so I'm not well-versed on swapping engines. So, a 'beginner' question:

I've got a '71 c10 with a questionable 2-bolt 350 that's been sitting with the top end off for a couple decades. I'm replacing it with a rebuilt 4-bolt 350. A shop is tackling this part. But, before I let them just run with this...

I know it's likely not going to be a '71 engine. I wanted to get an idea what range works well. I know "most any" 350 might work, but I want an engine in there that matches up well with components as it would've been in the truck. I hate having to change stuff around and end up with a vehicle that doesn't match the repair manual, just because a 1980 350 has mounting bracket X on the other side of Y - as a generic example.

I like stock.. but I can't afford a crate motor at this time. Hopefully the question makes sense... And hopefully, I am just being over-concerned.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Actually All 350s are the same If your truck has or will have P/S you'll need a crank pulley with 3 gruves 2 p/s 1 fan alt & w/p. if you have the original engine in it now then you should have all you need. most brackets mount to heads. You should be just fine

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm not the most experienced here, but the one with the most spare time on their hands right now, I'm out of work and need a job....ugh

Most 350s and small blocks ('60s and up) are generally the same on the outside. Most parts interchange. The heads may have different bolt holes (in the end for accessories) for your exact application, but would work as an engine and can be worked around.

The '80 may come with electronic ignition which is good and can easily be wired to your truck. It will probably also have some pollution control which can be worked around. No computer for an '80 model. The bell housing and exhaust bolt patterns are the same.

Does your '71 have air conditioning or power steering now? The mounting of those two things to the motor would be my biggest concern. Mounting them to the block and lining pulleys up.....not too difficult and possibly not even needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, good to know.. I figured there might've been more changes in newer blocks. thank you!

Unfortunately, the engine in it was pulled from an unknown car years ago, when my dad dropped it in. It's sat so long, I haven't a clue if it was power steering or a/c. When I get a chance I'll have to look in and see if i can spot the gearbox.

Edit: My dad confirmed. Yes, Power steering.. No a/c. How is it I keep ending up with trucks that have no A/C!? I live in a desert!

·
Registered
415 Posts
60 to the mid 80s blocks are good to go. the ones using the 4 fasteners on the edges to tighten the valve covers

in the late 80s and into the 90s, they came out w the center bolt pattern on the valve covers.

i know for 50 plus yrs the blocks were pretty much the same till they started to redesign the block(s)

·
Registered
9 Posts
86 and up 350s - maybe not

Blocks are pretty much the same. Soime may have the dipstick on the driver's side.
Cylinder heads for the 86 and up roller cam motors have different bolt holes for the center 2 intake mounts. Those two holes are vertical and are not perpendicular with the cylinder head. The older manifolds cannot use those bolt holes without machine work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts