Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The spider gears in the rear of my daily driver went out. Its a 66 GMC with a 250 six and SM 420 granny 4 speed. 1/2 ton with 6 lug wheels. SoI take it apart. it has a ten bolt rear cover. dana 44 rear. And to my suprize it has 13 teeth on the pinion and 43 on the ring gear. 331 rear gears. Most of these trucks have 390,s or 410,s. So I dig around in my hoard and drag out another GMC rear end. Take it apart and it has 308 rear gears. I think it came from a truck that had a 305 V6 and a automatic trans. So I simply changed the spider gears.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Well old man wish I had either one of those sets of gears, my 3.73`s are killing me....anim_63

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well old man wish I had either one of those sets of gears, my 3.73`s are killing me....anim_63
The GMC trucks from 63 up had rear leaf springs. and the rear axles are not held in by C clips. They have a pressed on to the axle outer bearing that holds the axles in the housing. It would be difficult to install one of the GMC rear ends in a coil spring chevy. And the 10 bolt Dana 44 gear sets will not fit a chev 12 bolt rear end. I like the way the old truck is geared. It pulls really well and doesn't use a terrible amount of fuel. I had a huge load of green oak firewood on it when the spider gears started making a racket. It never quit pulling. The smaller gears had teeth broken off. My youngest son has a 67 GMC. Its a three speed stick at present. He wants to convert it to automatic. I will give him the 308 gearset and carrier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts