Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well by now I'm pretty sure everyone has seen the videos on YouTube of these guys using rustoleum paint to paint cars, well last year I tried it and it turned out beautiful I did it on a 70 model cutlass which was a rust bucket to begin with. I would like to know if there's anyone here has knowledge of paint? I have a gallon of gloss Leather brown rustoleum paint and I would like to make it look like a rootbeer brown color I know you guys are probably thinking why use this chea ass paint well I just had a baby and I really can't afford to buy HOK rootbeer brown so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to make this happen? I have also enclosed a picture of the car I painted last year with rustoleum.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I have seen several cars painted with rustoleum, the only issue is there isn`t any UV protection.....so after a couple of years its gone...heck even the expensive paint jobs with uv clear protectant don`t last due to the sun, my paint after 15 years base coat clear coat was gone, think I`ll just go back to Jone Deer blitz black.....LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
my question is, when you do a two tone paint job,do you paint the complete car one color and mask for the secend color? I will be useing base/coat
clear/coat.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
John Deere Blitz black is GREAT paint. I have used it for years. Back in the early 60s we painted cars / trucks with Rustoleum paint using Gas for a thinner. HIGH gloss out of that but didn't last.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Perlo what is it your painting, is there Crome strip to hide the paint line or a body line.....?

·
Registered
4 Posts
When painting with base coat/clear coat, it's not necessary to paint the entire vehicle the first color unless you plan to have the two tone be some sort of graphic like an outline of a flame pattern or whatever that will be taped off prior to the second color. If you just plan to two tone it at the belt line or style line or what have you, then all you do is spray the first color slightly beyond the area where you will have the break. Then you tape/mask the first color and spray the second, then unmask and clear over the whole thing all at once. If you spray the whole thing one color only to cover it with another color, that's just a waste of time, material, and money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts