Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am replacing the spent 292 in my 66 C10 with a 1977 292 I purchased on craigslist. While cleaning it up and installing new gaskets (valve cover, valve lifter, oil pan), I noticed that two of the twelve valve lifter bearings appear to be higher than the rest - see photo. Should I try to drive them down to be even with the others?

IMGhttps://www.c10trucks.com/forums/album.php?albumid=101&pictureid=1431IMG

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Rose, no adjustment to the lifters , yes they are lifters, they ride on the camshaft, opening and closing your valves via thru the pushrods, so everything you see is normal...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 of the 10 bearings, at the base of the rod (in the photo), appear about 1/2" higher than the others. I thought that they may be climbing out of their seats.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
2 of the 10 bearings, at the base of the rod (in the photo), appear about 1/2" higher than the others. I thought that they may be climbing out of their seats.
Rose they are lifters...they ride on the camshaft. camshaft image below, this why they are at different heights when looking at the lifters..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bearings Visible at the Bottom of the Pushrods in the photo

If you click on the hyperlink (I don't know why it won't display the photo) in my original post, you will see the front group of pushrods. The bearings visible at the bottom of the push rod are the bearings to which I am referring. Ten of them are at the same height, two of them (particularly the one by the distributor) are about 1/2" higher than the others. I think that they are climbing out of their seats. Is that the case? Should I drive them back down?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Rose those are lifters, they slide up and down in there respective bores in the cast iron block following the camshaft, there are no bearings...the inside of the lifters there is a plunger that is spring loaded where the pushrod sits in...are you confusing the lifter itself as a bearing is what I`m guessing....everything looks good from here going by the image...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the base of each lifter

At the base of each lifter (as seen in the photo), there is a bearing, (a bushing, a guide). The one on the right (by the distributor) is about 1/2 inch higher than the 10 other ones. It is not a moving part, but that bearing and another bearing that can also be seen in the photo are higher; they appear to be higher in their seat. I doubt the engine was built this way, but I am new to the innards of I-6 engines.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Rose we will need a better image, (closeup) can`t see anything in that one...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Closer view of bearings

I got back to cleaning engine today, and captured a closer image that shows one of two the bearings that is higher on the lifters with respect to the others.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Lifters....normal...! If you rotate the engine crank you see they will all change..!

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Trust him rose if you rotate the engine by hand and watch what you are calling bearings (lifters) you'll see they all go up and down to open and close the valves. ALSO that's nice and clean in there. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts