Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can find a lot of V8 engine ID information, including casting numbers. However, not much for the 6's. I am shopping for a 292 I-6 engine to replace the one in my 66 C-10. To me the 230 and 250 engines look the same as the 292. How can I be certain that an engine advertised as a 292 is actually a 292?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
292 ID ----- easy----- look at the pass. side lifter covers ( 2 of them)
194,230,250 engines all have 4" tall covers and the fuel pump is next to the dist.
292 eng. have same type covers but are 6" tall and the fuel pump is at the mid point on the side (or close) of the eng.
two types of 292s ---- one is usa, and one is made in mexico. the mexico engine should have MEXICO embossed on the side of the block

Maybe this will helpanim_25

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have located a 292 engine that was just pulled out of a 1969 Chevy. The seller tells me that the engine was not original to the truck (it is a Camper Special that would have come with a V8). He thinks that the 292 is from the 1970s. I can see from the photos that it is wearing a power steering pump. For fitment to my 1966 C10, is there anything I should look for or be aware of with a 1970s 292?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Fitment will be the same, should be a bolt in for you...! beer

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked up the 292 engine today. Compared to the engine in the truck, this engine has a larger diameter distributor and cap. And the coil (not a cylindrical style) is mounted in a steel bracket that is bolted to the block; the mounting appears improvised.

The seller said that the vintage was 1973-1984.

Which gaskets/seals should I replace before installing it? I think I will clean it up and give it a paint job.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I picked up the 292 engine today. Compared to the engine in the truck, this engine has a larger diameter distributor and cap. And the coil (not a cylindrical style) is mounted in a steel bracket that is bolted to the block; the mounting appears improvised.

The seller said that the vintage was 1973-1984.

Which gaskets/seals should I replace before installing it? I think I will clean it up and give it a paint job.
HEI distrubutor, it will start and run much better...no more points...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The HEI distributor caps that I have seen have had the coil mounted on top. Is this an earlier version? The bracket (behind the distributor cap in the photo) is attached to the block, but it does not appear that it was designed to be mounted there.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Pull the cap off and double check....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For a clutch alignment tool, is diameter 1-1/8" X 10 splines correct? I would like to buy the tool before I pull the engine. Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that I have the engine on a stand, I have gotten the ID number (stamped) and the casting number. The casting number, 377129, indicates that it is a 292 from 1973-1984.

I have not found a source to decode the ID number C84117360. It seems most of the information available is for V8 engines. I would like to identify the year, so when I need parts, like a thermostat or distributor cap, I can state the year.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Now that I have the engine on a stand, I have gotten the ID number (stamped) and the casting number. The casting number, 377129, indicates that it is a 292 from 1973-1984.

I have not found a source to decode the ID number C84117360. It seems most of the information available is for V8 engines. I would like to identify the year, so when I need parts, like a thermostat or distributor cap, I can state the year.
There should be a date code cast into the block. Example- "A 30 2": Jan 30 of a year ending in 2. If the engine is a 250, that would be 1972.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the information regarding date code. My block is marked H 24 7, which would be August 24, 1977. It seems a block cast on that date could find its way into either a 1977 or 1978 model year vehicle.

Any idea on where this coil that is mounted to the block with one bolt, seen behind the distributor and to the left in the photo, is intended to be?

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Thanks for the information regarding date code. My block is marked H 24 7, which would be August 24, 1977. It seems a block cast on that date could find its way into either a 1977 or 1978 model year vehicle.

Any idea on where this coil that is mounted to the block with one bolt, seen behind the distributor and to the left in the photo, is intended to be?
Random image

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the image. I will see if my coil will mount in that position; it may be an issue of a cable reaching. The coil bracket is presently mounted by one screw in that open hole in the block to the right of the coil, which can be seen in the photo.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The divorced coil HEI you have is likely not orginal to your 292. It might not properly bolt to your engine. And the Passenger side frame bracket is different on a 292. You will need the correct bracket to make the swap a bolt in.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your message. The pic provided by 406rich shows the coil bracket sharing mounting bolts with the valve lifter covers. I will check to see if my brackets lines up. If not, I will check your recommended source.

I think that the divorced coil may be correct for my engine; when I look at a parts catalog for the distributor cap for a 1977 292, it shows the cap in the pic above (no coil mounted on cap).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts