Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my engine running, sort of.

It was not running nor sounding well when I bought it. I attributed it to the leaky connection between the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe (no donut) and a leak exhaust manifold gasket.

I replaced that gasket and that donut. I also put in a new fuel tank and sender and a remanufactured carburetor. I installed new spark plugs and PCV valve and hose; changed the oil and filter.

It will run for a few seconds, no more than fifteen. It sounds and feels terrible, like something inside the engine is running loose.

How best to evaluate this? I was thinking of dropping the oil pan to take a look around.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Not knowing what kind of noise its making it would be hard to say drop the pan. Unless its really rattling bad. I'd check for vacuum leaks, timing bad distributor?? check the valve settings plugs and wires there is plenty more to check before I'd pull the pan
. anim_25

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is running so poorly and so shortly that it is hard to check or adjust anything.

I was thinking that a compression test might be a good first check that I could do.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed a set of new ignition wires. In the process, I found an open wire (yellow) between a post on the starter motor and the positive terminal of the ignition coil. I fixed that connection and the engine starts and runs, warms up and idles. However, it still makes that hammering sound. It is hard to ascertain the origin of the racket, but I think it is the bottom end of the engine; I think something is seriously wrong. Other than the camshaft or crankshaft, what could produce that loud hammering?

How best to confirm what is going on?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
First thing to check would be the pulleys and dampener on the crankshaft to ensure they are tight, then use a broom handle on various sections of the engine while its running and hold it against the block and your ear to help pin point the noise if its not your pulleys..! be cautious around the fan…I`m assuming this is a manual transmission…?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will start it up tomorrow and give that a try. The fan and dampener seem tight. It is a manual transmission (4 speed). I tried pushing in the clutch to see if the noise would change; it did not. I once had a loud throw-out bearing on a different truck, though not that loud. I would love to find a solution other than the apparent one.

·
Administrator
448 Posts
A fuel pump rod will make aloud noise like that.

A flex plate bolt can also make the noise.

If the oil pan is bent bad at the bottom, a connecting rod could be hitting the bottom of the pan.

A dropped or stuck valve can be hitting the top of a piston.

Otis :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your suggestions. I know the pan is not bent and that my truck does not have a flex plate (it has a flywheel).

If I remove the fuel pump and remove the rod, will it be apparent if that rod is the issue? How about the valve issue, will a problem be apparent if I do a compression test of the cylinders?

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
93 Posts
Your 292 or any of the six cyls don't have a fuel pump push rod. with the engine running pull one spark plug wire at a time and see if the noise abates. Itfso you have found a loose bearing or bad piston wrist pin. A loose stick flywheel will also knock. and you could also have a pushrod off. It wouldn't cost much to pull the oil pan and valve cover and inspect & clean everything. Pull the main and rod caps one at a time and look at the bearings. check that the oil pump screen isn't clogged. 292,s are pricey to rebuild. If the crank is bad. Find a 250 to replace the 292. 250,s are plentiful and have enough power and use less fuel. there is a core buyer in Chicago who will buy your 292. the carb and all the parts from the 292 will fit a 250. heres a picture of my Souped up 250 in one of my 66 GMC,s

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input. I am on truck hiatus for a few weeks while I build a retaining wall and some steps. When I get back to the truck, I will try some of your suggestions. In my search for something amiss, should I start on the top end or bottom end?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts