Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have an original 235 CI in my 1960 C10 and the balancer is loose on the crank, I see that there is no bolt to tighten. I am hopping that someone has a fix for this. Thanks

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
what do you mean loose? has it moved out? is it sloppy like wiggles on crank? depending on what is bad you may need to take it apart for repairs to crank...Tha damper is what should be bad but with out seeing it you can't tell. New dampers are available Dorman has them I doubt the crank is bad BUT? you'll need a new seal also. You may want to replace the key also.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
As Charlie said...!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is loose on the crank moves in and out and side to side. I did look up for a new balancer but i can not seen to find one, or even a part number.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
The Dorman # is 594-014. There is one on Ebay now # 192145853296. I'd ask questions on the ebay one just to be sure your not buying what you already have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked that part number up and it says that is for a 250, is it the same balancer as a 235? I just want to be sure before i order one.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I see your problem.... I have talked to many parts stores and they all say Chevy never made a 235.....I know for sure they did as I have had several. I have a call into Chevrolet to find out what will work and what is around. I believe the one on Ebay is what you want. If you (we) can't come up with anything else. Give me a little time I will get back with you.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
got a call back from GM. They no longer produce this damper. BUT some (maybe)good news the early Corvette used the same engine with that damper. That may help locating the part GM part number is 389-6904. The guy said Dorman numbers come back as 594-014/594-015 I give them a call OR order them through a parts store so you can match them up and return the wrong one.
anim_25

·
Registered
56 Posts
I see your problem.... I have talked to many parts stores and they all say Chevy never made a 235.....I know for sure they did as I have had several. I have a call into Chevrolet to find out what will work and what is around. I believe the one on Ebay is what you want. If you (we) can't come up with anything else. Give me a little time I will get back with you.
First{I think} 235 was 1953, not pressurized oil but it was in the 53 vette, 1954 was the first fully pressurized 235. Not sure when the stopped making them but I think around 1960-61...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts