Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In an effort to get the slop out of the 3-speed column shift linkage on my 82 C10 project truck, I tore it apart and have been working on it for 3 weeks. I feel I could probably assemble and disassemble it blindfolded! The upper and lower shaft bearings are fine, but the shift action was very sloppy. Turns out the upper aluminum housing (bowl) that supports the shifter tube has a worn out bore. Same is true of the shifter bowl that rides on the shifter tube. So, I fabricated sleeves out of shim stock to reduce the bore sizes.

A few days ago I epoxied a sleeve to the shifter bowl bore, which reduced the bore diameter by .020" or so. Just the single sleeve reduced slop a lot. In addition to adding a sleeve to another bore, I am waiting on a wave washer and a plastic thrust cup, parts that had literally disintegrated over the years. I also enlarged the worn out shifter handle holes on the shifter bowl, and used a 6mm bolt and nut in place of the pin. I then found some bronze bushings to replace the cracked (and no longer available) plastic bushings on the R-1 and 2-3 levers at the bottom of the column. When I'm done, I hope the column shifter will work almost as good as new.

Speaking of parts, I probably have spent at least 12 hours searching the Internet for them. A good place to find the GM P/Ns for items on exploded view diagrams is http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=58159
The above page shows steering column parts for my truck. The numbers 1-60 refer to the drawing at the top left of the page. It took me forever to learn how to use the site, but it's been invaluable. Found 4 critical NOS parts so far on eBay and another site which simply aren't available at GM dealers.

Picture below shows shifter bowl on left with .010" shim epoxied to inside the bore where shifter tube rides. On the turn signal/horn/key bowl, you can see the wear in the bore that supports the upper end of the shifter tube. It will get an .008" shim.

This is the mess on my workbench! Shifter tube is temporarily installed in outer column (mast).

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tip. I ran across that site in my earlier searches. They didn't have any of the parts I needed, except for maybe steering shaft bearings. But they are so expensive, my current ones will be just fine!

On a similar note, I bought an NOS plastic support bushing on eBay for $12 shipped, after seeing it elsewhere for as much as $40-something + shipping! Also bought an NOS column-mounted backup lamp switch on eBay for considerably less than prices I had seen elsewhere. That switch is quite rare, because it seems most 1982 backup lamp switches are mounted on the transmission.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In an effort to get the slop out of the 3-speed column shift linkage on my 82 C10 project truck, I tore it apart and have been working on it for 3 weeks. I feel I could probably assemble and disassemble it blindfolded! The upper and lower shaft bearings are fine, but the shift action was very sloppy. Turns out the upper aluminum housing (bowl) that supports the shifter tube has a worn out bore. Same is true of the shifter bowl that rides on the shifter tube. So, I fabricated sleeves out of shim stock to reduce the bore sizes.

A few days ago I epoxied a sleeve to the shifter bowl bore, which reduced the bore diameter by .020" or so. Just the single sleeve reduced slop a lot. In addition to adding a sleeve to another bore, I am waiting on a wave washer and a plastic thrust cup, parts that had literally disintegrated over the years. I also enlarged the worn out shifter handle holes on the shifter bowl, and used a 6mm bolt and nut in place of the pin. I then found some bronze bushings to replace the cracked (and no longer available) plastic bushings on the R-1 and 2-3 levers at the bottom of the column. When I'm done, I hope the column shifter will work almost as good as new.

Speaking of parts, I probably have spent at least 12 hours searching the Internet for them. A good place to find the GM P/Ns for items on exploded view diagrams is GMPartsWiki - Parts and Illustration Catalog P&A 52A January 1984
The above page shows steering column parts for my truck. The numbers 1-60 refer to the drawing at the top left of the page. It took me forever to learn how to use the site, but it's been invaluable. Found 4 critical NOS parts so far on eBay and another site which simply aren't available at GM dealers.

Picture below shows shifter bowl on left with .010" shim epoxied to inside the bore where shifter tube rides. On the turn signal/horn/key bowl, you can see the wear in the bore that supports the upper end of the shifter tube. It will get an .008" shim.

This is the mess on my workbench! Shifter tube is temporarily installed in outer column (mast).

I am doing a 1981. I also can't find squat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts