Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience in removing the power steering pump from the engine, I have my engine out and need to get the brackets and pump off of the old engine. I want to clean up the brackets and I have a new pump, do I need a pulley puller to do it or does it just unbolt? I know I will need the puller when I get the pulley off but I wasn't sure if it needed to come off before taking the pump and bracket off.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, got it off easy enough but my pump doesn't have the center shaft threaded, so how is it supposed to go back on with the tool? The video says that you have to thread the installation tool through the center shaft.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is threaded female, its threaded male and there is no threaded female in the kit.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Can you post a picture of shaft??? Maybe threads are just full of crap. Try using a tap the same size as threads on puller. Hold shaft and use tap. There is no other way to install that I know of.anim_25

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I think the ones with the nut and key are car pumps. They will work but different way to remove and install pulley. Should not require pressing on as key and nut retain it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's an old style, brand new pump. has a nut, should I just tap it on with a mallet and then use the nut to clamp it the rest of the way?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a slot in the shaft but not on the pulley, the shaft slot is inward and does not interfere with the pulley.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I would find the right pulley (with a slot) as that is how it is held from slipping. Or find the right pump. You will have trouble later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts