Chevy C10 Trucks banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to convert the front drums to disks. I have quite a few questions. First, are they any other vehicles I can rob some spindles and such from? Conversion kits are so expensive so I was curious if I could get the necessary parts (such as spindles) from a junkyard. If anyone knows of any straight and easy conversions or a previous thread that answers that question, that would be great.

Second, would I be able to keep the stock 15" 6-Lug wheels with disk brakes?

Third, is there a vehicle I could rob a booster off of as well? And could I use the stock master cylinder and just change the pushrod?

Thanks for any help any of you have to offer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey guys, I am one small step ahead of you as I just bought the parts a couple of weeks ago. The cheapest way I have seen to do this (after tons of research) is to buy an entire crossmember out of a 1973-1987 C10. You will have 3 options;

1. Install the entire cross member with newer suspension parts.

2. Install the control arms from the donor truck onto your crossmember

3. take the spindles, calipers, and hub from the donor truck but buy the 73-87 ball joints to install.

I am going to install the entire crossmember from a 1986 into my 1968. There is an extensive guide on this topic, explaining what is involved for each option; "Drum to Disc" Conversion FAQ 60-70 - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

If it ever warms up, I will document my swap procedure as I go and share the how to. By the way, FB marketplace has a few of these listen right now. The going rate seems to be between $100 and $400 for decent parts, may need powerwashing / sandblasting.

Good luck,

Ed

·
Registered
1966 C10
6 Posts
Let me save you all some time, Summit has some really good kits for this which are priced cheaper than getting the parts from a yard. I bought and installed one on my 66 C10 the whole kit with spindles, calipers, pads, and discs along with new tie rods was under $700 and is a direct fit. I know they also have them for the next Gen up from mine too. some of these kits also include the drop spindles if you wanted to lower the truck. And yes you can keep the 6 lug.

Much easier than the disc brake upgrade I did on my 66 F250.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I am one small step ahead of you as I just bought the parts a couple of weeks ago. The cheapest way I have seen to do this (after tons of research) is to buy an entire crossmember out of a 1973-1987 C10. You will have 3 options;

1. Install the entire cross member with newer suspension parts.

2. Install the control arms from the donor truck onto your crossmember

3. take the spindles, calipers, and hub from the donor truck but buy the 73-87 ball joints to install.

I am going to install the entire crossmember from a 1986 into my 1968. There is an extensive guide on this topic, explaining what is involved for each option; "Drum to Disc" Conversion FAQ 60-70 - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

If it ever warms up, I will document my swap procedure as I go and share the how to. By the way, FB marketplace has a few of these listen right now. The going rate seems to be between $100 and $400 for decent parts, may need powerwashing / sandblasting.

Good luck,

Ed
Great work, Ed. Never would have thought of it. I'm following this for my 69 that I bought last fall. I do want to resurface Chris' question about keeping the 6-lug or do we need to go down to a 5-lug?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Stock spindles, calipers, and pads from 71-72, rotors and bearings from 73-87 that are 1.25" thick (6 lug), ball joints and outer tie rod ends from 71-72. You will need different brake hoses, most use Duralast 88466 with stock drum brake hard lines. You can use a booster from a 71-72 as well, just make sure to get the correct pedal rod, as the drum pedal rod will not work. You will also need a proportioning valve and lines. These can be from a 71-72 or aftermarket, just make sure it is for disc/drum if aftermarket. Disc/disc prop valve will not work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking to convert the front drums to disks. I have quite a few questions. First, are they any other vehicles I can rob some spindles and such from? Conversion kits are so expensive so I was curious if I could get the necessary parts (such as spindles) from a junkyard. If anyone knows of any straight and easy conversions or a previous thread that answers that question, that would be great.

Second, would I be able to keep the stock 15" 6-Lug wheels with disk brakes?

Third, is there a vehicle I could rob a booster off of as well? And could I use the stock master cylinder and just change the pushrod?

Thanks for any help any of you have to offer.
Not sure where you are located?
I have all the disc brake setup for a 1972 C10. Original spindles, lowering spindles upper and lower control arms, booster master cylinder etc. Even a set of 15” 5 on 5 chrome rally wheels. I just converted the front to QA1 coilovers and baer brakes. I have the matching 12 bolt posi rear-end 308 gear, 5 on 5. Drive shaft and the Turbo 400.
2020 spent alot of time with conversions.
Let me know
Kearnest62

1 - 7 of 7 Posts