Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 with inline 6. This truck was parked on a incline driveway. I started it a few months ago by adding gas to the carb. I added gas to the carb and tank after pushing it on level ground. It still won't start. Can I get some help on this? Thanks

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Along with fuel you need spark. You can pull off a park plug wier and see if you have spark. If you have spark and fuel and it ran before I'd pull a plug and see what they look like. Flooded carboned up?? If you have no spark could be points? condenser? out of time (not likely if ran before). Did you try some starting fluid?
anim_25

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't tried pulling the wires checking the spark nor starting fluid. I'll try that once I return. Is it a certain spark plug wire I need to pull to check for spark?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pulled several wires & checked for spark (no spark). Along with using
the spark tester tool. I changed the plugs because they were carboned up. Still no spark. A EFI distributor was installed prior to me buying the truck. The truck is getting fuel. I'm not sure what the issue is. Can it be the distributor? Any help will be greatly appreciated! THX

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Actually an HEI distributor, look at the small wires going to the HEI, they have a slide clip that goes in under under the cap, maybe it came unplugged...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm getting 11.5 volts to the distributor side marked bat when ignition is on. I changed the module after the guy @ the parts house tested it bad. I changed the coil, module & still no spark.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
OK This has happened to me ONCE in MANY MANY years there is a pick-up coil around the shaft at the base under everything else. It has 2 wires to it and from the advance system the wires are constantly moving. I had 1 break on me and like to never found it. You can google an exploded view of the HEI and you will find it it has a pick up ring around it. You can't change this with dist. in engine. There is nothing else there GOOD LUCK. In fact I think you have to remove the drive gear. If so be sure to mark it for reinstall. Now tell me this isn't fun. #19 and 20

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Just to say we checked, follow the wire in the image ( red wire ) If yours is red, back thru the cab and look at the point of origin and connection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Replaced the pick up coil after replacing the module and she fired right up! Thanks for your help!👍🏽
Should the hood park lights be lit when the headlights are on?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Replaced the pick up coil after replacing the module and she fired right up! Thanks for your help!👍🏽
Should the hood park lights be lit when the headlights are on?
Great news, and yes park lights should be on with headlights, Gm started that in `66.....I need to convert mine......! anim_63

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes we were. I was about to replace the entire distributor and be finish with it. I guess I'll have to chase down the issue with the front park lights not coming on with the headlights. Should be interesting!🙈

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
1966 was the first year for park lamps to come on with headlights, just check the headlight switch for loose connections, do the turn signals work...? the reason I`m asking is that maybe someone replaced the headlight switch with the wrong year or loose connection or bad ground...!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The turn signals work. The turn signal switch seem to be a lil loose though. I thought the park lights were coming on with the headlights (I could be wrong) prior to repairing the distributor.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
The turn signals work. The turn signal switch seem to be a lil loose though. I thought the park lights were coming on with the headlights (I could be wrong) prior to repairing the distributor.
When you turn on the headline switch, there are two positions, first one partially out should just turn on the park lights ( turn signals both sides and tail lights ), second position just the headlights, talilights and the park lights go out...

tail lights should be on with headlights

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
When the headlights are on, the hood parking lights are not.
correct, only guessing that at some point someone changed the headlight switch with an earlier style switch. Its still correct but not by year. If you want you can run a jumper wire to the park lamp terminal...I would have to find the link for you. go here, just be sure to use the 64 to 66 diagram and not the 60 to 63..
http://6066gmcguy.com/parklamp6466.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts