Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends,

I have a 1966 GMC Longbed Fleetside with the all original 250 IL6. I purchased the truck at the end of May 2017 and have done the following so far:

[*]Changed Engine Oil
[*]Changed Spark Plugs
[*]Replaced all the brakes from master cylinder to shoe
[*]Changed rear differential oil
[*]Changed transmission oil
[*]Replaced all exhaust gaskets
[*]Replaced all u-joints
[*]Replaced center bearing on driveshaft
[*]Sanded off 95% of the rattle-can black primer
[*]Repainted the rims
[*]Purchased new clearance lights (will be installed very soon)

Everything was going great until a couple of weeks ago...
I was on my way home when I got jammed and couldn't get the truck out of gear or into neutral. I played with the linkages some (as much I could from what I had learned from YouTube) before taking her into the transmission shop. The shop owner informed me that the truck was stuck in 2 gears and that he adjusted the linkages and replaced a missing bushing. I appreciated his candor as he told me that he felt bad that he couldn't completely fix the problem since the wear was in the column and to be very careful with it because it could fall apart the next day. Well, he was right. It jammed up again on my way home from seeing him. The tranny shop had referred me to a steering column guy. The column guy told me that he doesn't even touch 3's-on-the-tree anymore because of this problem and that my best bet would be to get a bolt-on kit to convert it from the column to the floor. The kit that I've found doesn't seem to be for 60-66's. I was told my best bet would be to find a late 80's S10 5 speed because the bell housing and bolt pattern are the same. Can anyone confirm this? I also have a friend with a mid 80's IROC 5 speed, would that work for me? I just want to get my baby rolling again. waaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :(

Thanks in advance.

Best,

66 Jimmy

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I just changed mine to a T5 same as IROC just be sure bolt pattern is same on T5 bell housing as your old one..... New bell housing is part of trans on T5. The only problem you may have is locating the master cylinder as the T5 has a wet clutch. or at least mine dose. the linkage going to the M/C will be different too. Not trying to scare you but look at everything before you jump into the T5... You may just want to buy a Hurst floor shifter for your 3 speed trans.. Anyway anim_25

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hurst Shifter

Thanks Charlie!
Would you be able to point me towards which Hurst shifter would work? I looked on SummitRacing and the kit they sell is for years 69-87 or something. Someone asked them if it would work on a 66 and their administrator said no.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
OK I contacted Jeg.com they need to know what 3 sped you have to match you up. Try Rich's answer too I'm sure they are out there. If you get nowhere let us know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
your tranny

I just took the tranny out of my 65, I have the linkage you might need You can email me [email protected] diecastcity.com. We can talk about your troubles & what you need to do.Send me an email with phone number. It is a lot easier to talk over the phone than trying to type an email.

Thanks stepsider 65fahne19

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I contacted Jeg.com they need to know what 3 sped you have to match you up. Try Rich's answer too I'm sure they are out there. If you get nowhere let us know.
Thank you, Charlie! Between the chart Rich provided and this link hopefully I'll be able to find something to match up. I'm really thinking about doing the 5 speed though because 3 gears just doesn't seem like enough. When she's on the freeway she's really screaming trying to do 65mph.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just took the tranny out of my 65, I have the linkage you might need You can email me [email protected] diecastcity.com. We can talk about your troubles & what you need to do.Send me an email with phone number. It is a lot easier to talk over the phone than trying to type an email.

Thanks stepsider 65fahne19
Right on, Victor! I'll email you right now. I'm in Sac!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just changed mine to a T5 same as IROC just be sure bolt pattern is same on T5 bell housing as your old one..... New bell housing is part of trans on T5. The only problem you may have is locating the master cylinder as the T5 has a wet clutch. or at least mine dose. the linkage going to the M/C will be different too. Not trying to scare you but look at everything before you jump into the T5... You may just want to buy a Hurst floor shifter for your 3 speed trans.. Anyway anim_25
Good morning, Charlie. I inquired more from the person with the T5 from the IROC and he said that it does not have a wet clutch or the bell housing as part of it. So he's thinking it may be from an earlier year like an '82. He said, "It's definitely separate from the bell housing, like a Muncie 4spd."

Would this still be a viable option for me? Sorry for all the questions but I'm really green and not too mechanically inclined so I'm learning as I go.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I can not say. Think you would have to see what bell housing will go with it. The T5 I have came from a 91 C10 I like the 5th gear the RPMs really drop. If you could get a picture if the 5 speed we may be able to tell what bell housing will work

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can not say. Think you would have to see what bell housing will go with it. The T5 I have came from a 91 C10 I like the 5th gear the RPMs really drop. If you could get a picture if the 5 speed we may be able to tell what bell housing will work
He's going to clean it up some and then send me some pics but in the meantime I've attached a picture from the link that was provided for me. It's from a 1983 IROC V8 and the numbers on it are 1352-028. *fingers crossed*

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
not sure but think you need a different bell housing for that one. We'll see
Thank you, Charlie. I received pictures of the T5 I'm thinking about getting. I'll attach as many as I can to this message so we can tell if the bell housing will work. Did you have to install bucket seats when you put yours in?

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts