Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1966 C10 came with a small block. The distributor is about 1/2" from the firewall. The engine could easily be moved forward about 3 inches. I removed my steel fan and replaced it with an electric fan on the radiator.

Has anyone done this?

I know I would need to:
Get a new drive shaft.
Reposition the transmission mount.
Change the carb and trans linkage.
Modify radiator hoses.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
That would be typical for all `63 to `66 tucks, note an HEI will fit with the engine in the stock location, although tight, install distributor first then cap, there are many small base distributors out there on the market now that are electronic or convert your original to Petronix internals. you won't have to move the engine forward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Information on location of motor, 2.5 inches forward

Found some information. If you look down on the frame rails just in front of the motor mount towers you will see a hole. To move the motor forward 2 1/2 inches just relocate the towers to those forward holes. You will need to drill a new hole in the cross member for the lower tower mounts, but it's pretty easy. Although some say it's not really necessary for HEI dist clearance, and really it's not, it's nice to have a bit more room between the firewall and distributor.

I moved mine forward when I swapped in a HO 350 crate and 700r 4. I used a Lokar nostalgia shifter. As luck would have it, moving the motor forward 2 1/2 inches and adjusting the Lokar to it's most forward mounting, it allowed the shifter to come up through the old hole that the granny 4 speed shifter used to use. No cutting was needed ! The Nostalgia shifter even "looks" like the old shifter that was used on the Granny 4 speed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts