Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at pulling the trigger on a 1966 c10. The guys is asking 12k and it seems like a fair price. He says that he has replaced most major body panels except the cab but that it is solid. It has air ride and c-notch mod in the rear. He gave me the vin 6C1534622622. It is across the border in Canada but I am not real concerned about importing as I have done it a few times. Any input or advice would be great thanks!

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive parking light
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Window Vehicle door

·
Registered
82 Posts
Seems fair as long as the body checks out. need to get under it and pull up the carpet to be sure. I got my 66 for shipping which was 2100 and I will have at least 12k into restoration and I am doing the work.

·
Registered
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
243 Posts
It seems they spent a lot of time on the appearance of this truck...but didn't spend any money on important things like disc brakes. And the engine has rusty parts. With it sitting so low, I'd be concerned about what it looks like underneath.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems they spent a lot of time on the appearance of this truck...but didn't spend any money on important things like disc brakes. And the engine has rusty parts. With it sitting so low, I'd be concerned about what it looks like underneath.
Yeah all show no go. Plan on looking at the rest of the truck to make sure it’s in good shape and then taking care of the go bits if I buy it.

·
Registered
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
243 Posts
To me it seems like a lot of money for what you're getting. Guess it depends on what your plans are for it. It's your money, you can spend it how you want..

I can tell you, just my exhaust for the 383 stroker in my 64 cost almost $2K. And this truck looks like it needs everything...updated wiring, motor, probably rear-end, suspension..and we didn't see what the bed looks like? And who knows what's under that paint? I'm in middle of disc brake conversion..probably have $1500 in parts and still sourcing a steering box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To me it seems like a lot of money for what you're getting. Guess it depends on what your plans are for it. It's your money, you can spend it how you want..

I can tell you, just my exhaust for the 383 stroker in my 64 cost almost $2K. And this truck looks like it needs everything...updated wiring, motor, probably rear-end, suspension..and we didn't see what the bed looks like? And who knows what's under that paint? I'm in middle of disc brake conversion..probably have $1500 in parts and still sourcing a steering box.
Bed looks good. This is what he said to me about the body
“This truck has had a cab on everything else off restoration, all new body bolts and box hardware has been replaced. A new cherry bomb muffler and battery as well. This truck start, runs and shifts very well.” You think 12k is too much?

·
Registered
243 Posts
“This truck has had a cab on everything else off restoration, all new body bolts and box hardware has been replaced."

I would say to you..just look at the picture of the engine bay..the frame is rusty, everything is old, there's no power steering.. there's wires kinda hanging unsupported. I've personally never seen one of these trucks that didn't have rust in the cab corners and rockers. I have one Chinese fender I replaced and it sucks...very thin metal and poor fit.

If he did a almost frame off, why are the frame rails rusted? He didn't address any of that while he had it apart? The motor looks like they rattle canned over the rust? It looks like corners were cut, which makes me leary about what's under the paint..

In my opinion, the truck looks too low, at least from some of the pictures. I'd be afraid what the undercarriage looks like? And how was this look achieved? Drop spindles or ? The rear frame is possibly notched..and was it done correctly?

The seat looks old and lumpy, with a cheap cover over it.

These are just my opinions and observations. I own a 64 and know how much money things have cost. But that depends on what you want. You could probably drive it and enjoy it. I can tell you in my truck, drum brakes are scary. I have a 66 power steering unit that works pretty good. No power steering in these trucks isn't so fun.

Again, there's a lot of unanswered questions and we can only see a few pictures over the internet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you're really set on buying, I would ask more questions. And definitely get really good pictures of everything...like wheel lips, drip rails, suspension, rear frame, etc.

If he's honest, then it shouldn't be a problem to offer a potential buyer these things. Anyone who does that much supposed work should have progress pictures of the different stages..

The guy I bought my 64 from had 2 bins of spare parts and literature. He was so anal, he even had spare blank keys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're really set on buying, I would ask more questions. And definitely get really good pictures of everything...like wheel lips, drip rails, suspension, rear frame, etc.

If he's honest, then it shouldn't be a problem to offer a potential buyer these things. Anyone who does that much supposed work should have progress pictures of the different stages..

The guy I bought my 64 from had 2 bins of spare parts and literature. He was so anal, he even had spare blank keys!
Will do. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I got some additional pictures of the truck during the build. Let me know if you see anything off or if you think it looks good.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am looking at pulling the trigger on a 1966 c10. The guys is asking 12k and it seems like a fair price. He says that he has replaced most major body panels except the cab but that it is solid. It has air ride and c-notch mod in the rear. He gave me the vin 6C1534622622. It is across the border in Canada but I am not real concerned about importing as I have done it a few times. Any input or advice would be great thanks!

View attachment 6228 View attachment 6229 View attachment 6230 View attachment 6231

·
Registered
6 Posts
It looks good. If the body checks out sure. Got to throw in a V8 and some rims at that dude too. Keep the 3 speed, not many of them left. Offer 10K CASH MONEY.

·
Registered
1966 Chevrolet C10
7 Posts
Sorry I know this is a few week old thread, but I've just joined this forum today & funnily found this post.

I'm actually the person who's bought this truck, I'm having it shipped to the UK.

I do have more images & hes sent me videos if anyone interested seeing it at all, & by all means can update when it arrives in what 4-5 months :')

I've also chucked the photos of the 'C' Notch down below too!

Thanks guys :D

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Rim
Tire Crankset Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Truck
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Grille Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would have someone inspect those welds. And if it was my truck, I'd have those C notches welded in...maybe boxed too. That area doesn't look so good to me, but hard to tell from pictures.

·
Registered
1966 Chevrolet C10
7 Posts
Welcome to the forum
Thanks man :D

Welcome to the forum. I would have someone inspect those welds. And if it was my truck, I'd have those C notches welded in...maybe boxed too. That area doesn't look so good to me, but hard to tell from pictures.
Thanks Dave! Yeah there's a couple spots I want doing, luckily I have a welder friend next-door to my unit, so I'm going to get it straight into him!

Alot of this stuff wont drastically matter as It will only be a show truck, so out 10-20% of the year at most & we only really have 2-4 weeks of summer here. The way I saw this one, the price I paid vs the price they sell for over here was worth the gamble, so even if it needs work, which it will, i'll be able to do it comfortably & then if i feel like selling in a few years it should have gone up a bit more generally, then any work done is a bonus!

This is my first ever classic/historic, so a full learning curve on this one :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Get that thing under the projects section, so we can see what you do to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts