Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone...new member here.
I have recently purchased a 1966 chevy c10. I am looking for advice on a few things.
1st..engine. I want to keep it original, it has the v8 283. is there a way to upgrade the distributor to electronic ignition,
also the intake and carb...ideas?

2nd..brakes...I am looking to upgrade the brakes, add power brakes and split the front and back.

the way am looking to do this is the cheap innovative way. stock parts I can get from other vehicles and make them work....

thanks in advance for any ideas or direction

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum Two dog, best or easiest electronic distributor would be an HEI from any early chevy `75 to `80 or just get an MSD HEI distributor from most any speed shop, it will need full 12 volts supply line from the ignition which would be the pink wire after the the ignition switch, you will not use the ballast resistor or wire associated with it, as far as carb there are a lot of used edelbrock performer manifolds around used on craigslist, get one that has not been abused, ( stripped threads ) or broken bolts, carb unless you`ve rebuilt one, get a new edelbrock 500 CFM with an electric choke….brakes, any `73 to `87 C`10, get master/booster/proportioning valve, lines, ( replace all rubber lines or steel lines that are damaged ) spindles, calipers, brackets, replace ball joints with newer style `73 to `87 on your a`arms, note if ball joint fits sloppy when pressed on you`ll need an oversize ball joint, they sell them, also you will need to buy the booster bracket to mount to the firewall, it makes this swap easier…..here…..not mine…this is a quality piece,...The price on the bare steel brackets is $55.00 plus a flat $11.65 shipping in the US. If you are located elsewhere contact me for shipping charges. You can also get this bracket in a satin black powder coat for an additional $6.50. Mounting hardware is included. To place an order and for payment information either send me a PM here on the forum or email me at [email protected] dot com http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=452267&stc=1&d=1239765097

Note ; you will have to decide on either five lug or six lug, if you stay with six lug you`ll have to purchase six lug hub from any of the custom shops like LMC or ECE….if you plan on dropping your truck everything will change,…back to the drawing board...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a name description for spindles on 73-87 c10's?
Is there a spindle that will work with the 1966 stock upper and lower control arms to convert to disk brakes?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
All disc brake spindles from `73 to `87 C10, or suburban, use your a`arms both upper and lower, use `73 to `87 ball joints, its a bolt up process, get the steering link as well..

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
correct, don`t forget the master cylinder and proportioning valve, brake lines associated with it to split the system. Buy new rubber flex lines..!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok sounds good.
I am converting over to 5 lug also.
do you know what year axels will work in my rear axle tubes to convert the rear to 5 lug

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
This is where it will get tough, 1970 was the year they changed to five lug, I think that you can just swap axles and brake drums out….. or you can swap out the entire rear axle assembly, up to `78, there will be the tracking bar correction you will have to buy other than that all should bolt up.. side note, the 1971 on up axle assemblies will be 1.5 inches wider than your `66 axle assembly but it will fit under your truck..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all your help! I have all the front end parts I need now just to find axles for the rear.

thanks again!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Front end

I just dropped the whole front end out and replaced it with a 1985. I had to redrill 2 holes everything else fit. You will have to block the engine up or pull it. Have fun and BE CAREFUL!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts