Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so here is the beginning.....
Paid $1000 for the truck. it hit my driveway on 13 August 2014....
It appears to have a 350 in it. it is automatic at this point.....
Looks like a C-10 rear end.... I've been told it has a third gen step Side bed on it.
it is in need of some help.... luckily... I'm here to save it.....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Nice ride and yes it appears to be a later model C10 rear. Are you planning on changing the front to 5 lug ? You wouldn't find one in that good of shape around here. Have fun and anim_25

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice ride and yes it appears to be a later model C10 rear. Are you planning on changing the front to 5 lug ? You wouldn't find one in that good of shape around here. Have fun and anim_25
LOL... I haven't completely figured out what I have ... let alone what I'm going to do... But YES... 5 lugs on the rear and 8 in the front just isn't going to work....

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
C25 shows it as 3/4 ton...the 4 as cab and stepside pickup box.... 5- being the model year....Z -fremont plant in Calif.... 141002 truck number built
On the left and right side frame rail just below the doors and the left front top frame rail next to enging mount should be the vin, it should match your plate on the jamb...!

My truck started out as a step side, the PO changed out the bed from a 60 to 62 which was slightly differant in the very rear bed mounts due to frame differances.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
C25 shows it as 3/4 ton...the 4 as cab and stepside pickup box.... 5- being the model year....Z -fremont plant in Calif.... 141002 truck number built
On the left and right side frame rail just below the doors and the left front top frame rail next to enging mount should be the vin, it should match your plate on the jamb...!

My truck started out as a step side, the PO changed out the bed from a 60 to 62 which was slightly differant in the very rear bed mounts due to frame differances.
Sweet.... So it was a step side.... it was a long bed though.... I can see where they chopped the frame and did a shitty re-weld... I will have to fix that... probably box that area out to make it strong.....

I probably will go with the 5 lug in front.... need to go to a disk break set up anyway...

·
Registered
493 Posts
tag is as follows.... C 254 5z 141002

So defiantly a C-20. I'll take a look at the rear frame tonight.
I thought maybe Rich was clarvoyant... then remembered there are 2 threads going here, talking about the same truck. :confused:

The other thread: http://www.c10trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595

Double check the drive shaft and rear brake lines too, that's something else they modified or replaced when they shortened the frame.

Also... want a dejavu moment: http://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=21519

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
LOL....just realized it myself....! anim_63beer

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought maybe Rich was clarvoyant... then remembered there are 2 threads going here, talking about the same truck. :confused:

The other thread: http://www.c10trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595

Double check the drive shaft and rear brake lines too, that's something else they modified or replaced when they shortened the frame.

Also... want a dejavu moment: http://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=21519
I have already noticed one of the cross braces were cut to allow room for the driveshaft . I will have to look at the brake lines. I also already noticed that the E-brake lines when taught rub the driveshaft.... so Yep... the bed has to come off.....

Used a power washer on it last night.... Damn there is a lot of grease under the front....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I spent two more days working on cleaning 50 years of grease off the truck. I now know that the motor in it is a 1978 305. I also know the vin on the frame rail matches the truck cab.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I know I need to go to a disc brake set up on the front..... I may have run across a 73-87 suspension.... will this fit the 65?

Also, Why would they have put the 5 lug rear end in it? is it a gearing thing? what would be the pro's and cons of going back to an 8 lug rear end?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Yes, use the entire front crossmember as a unit, are you going to install power steering...? The rear axle I`m assuming that they used whatever they had laying around or got for free....if the donor truck you`re looking at has one use it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, use the entire front crossmember as a unit, are you going to install power steering...? The rear axle I`m assuming that they used whatever they had laying around or got for free....if the donor truck you`re looking at has one use it.
Awesome.... so the idea is to go back to the 8 lug rear end with an 8 lug front disk set up. I think I found a guy with the parts.
Power steering? not sure yet. I think I may have run across a 350 as well. If that deal works out I will be looking for the standard trans to go with it..... It looks like the parts are coming together....

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Most c-20 ratios that I have seen are between 3.73 and 4.11 due to the towing aspect, if it were me Mike start looking for a NP 440 transmission, GM version of the A833 four speed, actually three speed with fouth being overdrive, .79 final ratio, they came in cast iron and aluminum, produced from late `78 to `86 GMC and Chevy, both comercial and public...

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Mike sending you a PM....

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Did you get it...?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts