Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear brakes are extremely hot after riding for 20 or so minutes. I have read that it's caused by the hose that attaches to the hard lines on the rear axle, is falling apart and debris is creating a vacuum. I have changed that hose out and have no problems bleeding the lines out easily. I have drum brakes all around and the fronts give me no problems. The truck doesn't have a proportioning valve off of the master cylinder, could that be the cause? This problem is infrequent as well which I find odd. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
NO proportioning valve needed. I'd say your rear shoes are adjusted out to far. Back them off one or two notches and see how that works

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
One issue that can cause your sticking brakes is worn backing plates where the shoe rides up against it, if there are grooves worn in the pads that are on the backing plates you`ll need to use a welder and fill the grooves then a four inch grinder to smooth them back out...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, I backed off my brakes and that worked for a while but the problem is back. I'm going to try your advice about filling in grooves. There are a couple that could be a problem. Once I get my hands on a welder, I'll give it a go. Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was it!! I did have a couple of grooves on each side. Did exactly what you said and now I have over 500 miles with no problems! Thanks buddy!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Cool ...happy trucking..!beer

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 64 C10. It's doing the same thing, mostly grabbing occasionally when making sharp slow turns. I pulled the drums, and both sides are soaked with gear oil. Obviously the axle seals are bad. I did notice that I have grooves in the backing plate pads as well. My plan is to weld and grind flush just to be safe. I also have an indentation on the left rear axle, it looks like corrosion from sitting. Thinking I should replace the axle as the spot is right where the seal rides.
Thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts