Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may become my project truck. One owner. Was running when parked in 1993. Fairly clean oil on dipstick. Radiator still full with green anti-freeze. Dash looks "perfect". 283 w/3-on-the-tree. All glass is good. Big back window.

Lots of critters made it their home...underhood almost packed full of straw, etc...BUT nothing made it into the carb/intake!

No wreck damage. Has rust in rockers, one front fender, small area on each rear wheel well. Can't see the bed floor, or much underneath...

The price for this truck may be............................FREE!!!!!!!!!! Will be hard to pass that up, if it works out for me. Am I crazy to want this truck???

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Wow it really is a barn find, glad you`re trying to save her, looks as if the barn had flooded at some time...! Welcome to the forum..!sign0016

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wow it really is a barn find, glad you`re trying to save her, looks as if the barn had flooded at some time...! Welcome to the forum..!sign0016
I think the dirt level is mostly from animals burrowing underneath, and pushing the dirt to the outside. Where we dug back a little, you can see underneath and the frame is above the ground. There are some 2x6's and blocks where someone had blocked it up at one point, way back when, to keep it from settling when the tires would go flat.

fireproof 69 sign0016 to C10 Trucks Great looking find anim_25
Thanks for the quick welcome!

What are some of the concerns I need to look at before taking this on??? My plan would be to swap out suspension to later model power disc brakes, power steering. But keep it pretty stock otherwise.

I know both rockers are rusted thru, but I didn't see any rust above them into the cab floor. The right front fender has a large rust hole, and both rear fenders, have small holes rusted thru where one of the braces attached.

I take it, all these trucks came with wood bed slats? It was too full of "stuff" to see the bed floor!

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I think your right about the wood beds. I re done mine in white oak started with rough sawn 5/4 oak. and new rails from LMC. anim_25Good luck with your project if you get it

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
What are some of the concerns I need to look at before taking this on??? My plan would be to swap out suspension to later model power disc brakes, power steering. But keep it pretty stock otherwise.

I know both rockers are rusted thru, but I didn't see any rust above them into the cab floor. The right front fender has a large rust hole, and both rear fenders, have small holes rusted thru where one of the braces attached.

I take it, all these trucks came with wood bed slats? It was too full of "stuff" to see the bed floor!
Other than the rust there are no concerns really, as you said up grade the front to disc brakes, with dual master cylinder, power steering, add a one and a quarter sway bar to the front suspension from a one or three quarter ton chevy or GMC and these trucks take on a whole different attitude on the road...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks good to me I see plenty of good parts on that one that my driver could use it
Thanks... I think.....I hope it is more than just a good parts truck! LOL

I think in order to get it "free" I will have to make a Gentlemen''s Agreement that I will not re-sell it as it is, or chop it up for parts. It is a one owner, and he passed away 20yrs ago. It's been sitting in that lean-to since a couple years before he passed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, looks like a no go. The truck was his wife's Dad''s truck. He bought it new and drove it up until the last couple years of his life.

At the thought of someone else restoring it, she decided she wanted it restored for her to keep.

Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Bummer...well at least she said she would save it ...I hope..! you still on the search..?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bummer...well at least she said she would save it ...I hope..! you still on the search..?
Well, wasn't actively searching. A friend who was working for that guy said he commented multiple times that he wished he knew someone that he knew would restore it, and he would "probably" give it to them to get it out of his barn so he could use that space.

But it was really his wife's choice on what to do with it.

He asked if I would take on the project of restoring it for them, but I passed. I don't have a garage to work in or all the tools to get it done in a timely manner. And he doesn't have an actual garage or barn with concrete floor to work in either.

I have the confidence to take it on for myself, and just work at my own pace, and could do most of the work, minus welding/bodywork/paint.

So.....just from the description, what would you say was a fair price for the truck as-is? Just in case she decides to sell? Because he didn't actually say "free" to me when he said he is ready to see it gone.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Hanging a price on somthing with just pictures to go by is tough . Culd be anywhere from $500 to $1500 or more. Depends on shape its in and how bad you want it. Some you just have to pass on.
anim_25

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hanging a price on somthing with just pictures to go by is tough . Culd be anywhere from $500 to $1500 or more. Depends on shape its in and how bad you want it. Some you just have to pass on.
anim_25
Well, I was just thinking that same range. Haven't seen underneath so not sure about frame rust. But it's 1 owner, and all original, and dash is great. It's been covered, so that helped a lot.

Anyway...it is still an expensive resto.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts