Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking the truck up this Friday. It was purchased by its current owner to become a drag truck, I also desire to turn it into a street/strip truck.

Pros- Truck has LQ9 engine already, 2 turbos in the front seat, replacement panels for all the ones that currently sport rust.

Cons- truck lacks a transmission, driveline, radiator, steering rack.

My goal would be to put a built TH400, ford 9", newer power rack, and pull a radiator for it as well.

I'd like to be able to drive the truck while I piece together the turbo setup. What concerns, issues, problems do you see me having with this plan? I am mechanically savvy but a complete newbie with the C10.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
All manageable by you I`m sure, very easy to work with, simple trucks, I may suggest buying a radiator from Champion rad, aluminum, if your truck was originally a V8 truck they are a bolt in..are you buying a used rack from something or new, Unisteer makes a nice unit thou pricey..rear trans crossmember will need to be changed out get one from any `73 to `87 c10 it will bolt in but further back to accommodate the th-400, you can buy the shims or wedges for the rear axle to mount on the trailing arms fro LMC or CPP.

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I've done a little more research and I'm thinking the 700R4 may be a better solution for my truck. I do plan to use it on the highway some so having an overdrive gear would be great.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
700R4 good choice...what are you using for rear axle..?

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For both cost savings and for less swapping around I was going to build the 12bolt. Being that I am running a mild LQ9 build with a pair of turbos I think that is the best bet for me. I've been looking at strange as they have some nice completely built/assembled setups but I also see the cost savings in learning to build it myself. Decisions decisions.

Current plans for the LQ9 are LS3 heads/LS9 cam/LS9 gaskets, arp head bolts. Maybe and very maybe springs/rockers. The LQ9 is only 20k old so I think it should be good for a while.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
The stock GM 12 bolt will handle quite a bit of beating, many are still running them with built motors with no issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is the motor already installed in the truck as the LQ9 will not bolt up directly to the mounts. Any pics of the truck?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Cool, rack and all....I`m jealous...! nice start on the truck...beer

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cannot take credit for the rack haha. The gentleman I purchased it from owns that shop. He has a similar albeit waaaay cooler C10 that runs 9's haha. He's helping me with this build. (thank god for a guy whos an expert on this platform). Hoping to be touching 10's and surprising some folks in the spring.

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haven't updated in a while. Have the following parts ready to start building.

Turbo headers
2x CXracing 62mm turbos
2x Turbosmart 45mm hypergate waste gates
1x Turbosmart raceport 50mm bov
th400 w/tbrake (1000tq build)
custom specced converter
CCP 6lug conversion w/discs
CCP pitman/72c10 steering box
Mishimoto radiator/hoses/160 tstat
CCP trans crossmember

(last thing I'm looking at is holley efi, not sure which EFI I want to run)

have the 29/15.50 R15's mounted and ready to rock

I'll post pics as we start the build.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts